VPN Access

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by psujeeperman02, Dec 6, 2005.

1. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

Sep 26, 2005
    Hey guys, sorry for all of these questions, but you guys are very great with giving out advice.

Our one office branch is located 6 hours away from HQ. They connect to our file server through a VPN. Only one person over there has an XP Pro machine. everyone else is running win 98. When they come in in the mornings, they cannot access the application server until i reboot the entire server, which is very unproductive.
    My question is, why would the win xp machine be able to connect ok, but the win 98s cant? The get a message saying "apps serv is not accesible. The computer or share name could not be found. Make sure you type it correctly and try again."

What would be different in win 98 connection that is difff in xp? Hmmmmm..........
  2. VolksDragon

VolksDragon New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    We use Cisco VPN software for our police MDT terminals, and haven't had any problems at all with Win 2K, Win XP. I don't know enough about 98's networking capabilities to troubleshooot, but why the hell are they still using 98?

Ugh...I suspect 98 is the problem, but I don't know exactly what needs to be changed. Maybe some network gurus will pipe up, I am just a hardware geek.