VPN & A Crappy DSL Connection

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by neonwheels, Sep 17, 2004.

1. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

I have DSL through my apartment (it's free so I can't bitch too much) but it's pretty crappy.

Lately my connection has been spotty at best (extremely slow connection or no connection at all during some hours during the day, some peak hours, which I understand; others are at 7:00am in the morning things that shouldn't happen at all)

Anyways, I had problems with my connection last night and I was pissed to say the least. Anyways, I hit the wrong icon and I actually signed into my VPN connection through my university. It's mind boggling because I have no internet connection to load pages or things of that nature, but not only was I able to log in to my VPN but I was able to then able to have an internet connection.

I haven't gone too in depth into VPN's, but know most of the basics. Though, if I'm not mistaken, if I have no internet connection, should I be able to sign into a VPN that isn't local? (I'm connecting through my router to IU's VPN all through this shady DSL connection, normally I have to go into VPN to connect at school otherwise I can't load anything)

Any input to this or is my general thinking correct?

2. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

you definitely need some sort of connection to access a VPN, do you maybe have a backup dial up or something that you could have used since the DSL was down?

3. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

Yeah, free dial up from my university.

But the thing is that I don't have connection without my VPN signed on, then all the sudden I turn on the VPN and I have connection (but lose it when I sign off the VPN).

This has me TOTALLY boggled...

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

So is it dialing out to the uni, and then VPN'ing? Because when you drop the VPN, it will also drop the dialup connection by default

5. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

You lost me, there's no phone cable connected (this is on a laptop accessing my wireless network), only cord connected at most is the power cable.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I dunno man, there's no way you can reach a VPN server outside of your LAN without the internet working. You need to get back to the basics of what is wrong with your connection.

7. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

Ok, that's what I thought... Now to bitch at my apartment for shady service...

BTW: Are there any programs out there that a company (as an example: an apartment complex) could govern their broadband connection?

8. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Of course, it's called a router.

Like 5Gen said you can't connect to a VPN without an active connection to the Internet. You say that you have wireless so maybe you snatched onto a wireless network and didn't know about it.

9. SuPaUgLee04

SuPaUgLee04 New Member

I definetly think you have a connection. but are not aware of it. Go into the command prompt before you login into the VPN and do an ipconfig to see if you get an address. How are you trying to access the internet or verifying that you dont have a connection? There is no way you can log into a VPN connection without some sort of connectivity.

10. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

I've only been checking my connection state by if I can sign in to AIM or view webpages, things of that nature.

As far as connecting to another connection, no. All the other connections are encrypted, so I couldn't get any signal if I wanted to.

I think I have it down to a cap in either the modem or from the apt. complex itself.

Also, when I download stuff, I have a HUGE burst of almost 300KB down to around 10 or 20KB/s. Would that be an indication of a cap somewhere in the line? I only ask because Cable is normally the one to have bursts, not really DSL (to my knowledge at least).

11. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Checking a connection with AIM isn't very reliable - web pages are a bit better but still no dice, you could have a connection but no DNS server thus not being able to view web pages.

DSL is waaay more bursty than Cable. I hate DSL with a passion too - never had much luck with it. The only way it is worth it is if you can see the phone office from your window. Cable >>>> DSL.

If someone capped your line you probably wouldn't get a burst, it would not exceed the cap.