Volvo S60 R - A wolf in Volvo clothing

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Mar 6, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]

By Andrew Bornhop

The computerized central nervous system of the new Volvo S60 R is so advanced that, when the car is under severe braking — a few milliseconds before brake pads actually touch rotors — a microprocessor has already computed how much the front end will dip, and then uses this information to instantly optimize shock-absorber valving to reduce dive, enhance grip and improve driver control. And any time the steering wheel is turned quickly, Volvo's "Four-C" chassis (Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept) uses numerous onboard sensors to adjust the shock valving accordingly before the vehicle actually reacts.

Impressive technology, this, made possible by Ohlins Racing AB, whose quick-acting valves are the secret to the S60 R's Monroe shock absorbers, which receive information up to 500 times per second. In effect, this means the shock absorbers are constantly being adjusted while the car is being driven, via sensors that measure everything from the rotational speed and vertical movement of each wheel to the quickness of steering inputs. The system sounds complex, but it is very efficient at keeping the S60 R's body (and that of its wagon counterpart, the V70 R) as parallel to the road surface as possible.

It's also much appreciated, given that the all-wheel-drive S60 R sedan is the sportiest Volvo ever. Substantiating that claim is the car's 300-bhp heart — a turbocharged 2.5-liter inline-5 engine — that is complemented by a 6-speed manual gearbox and the biggest Brembo brakes (with aluminum 4-piston calipers) Volvo can fit within the 18-in. alloy wheels, which are shod with 235/40-18 tires.

When equipped with the 6-speed manual gearbox, the 3560-lb. R hits 60 mph in a claimed 5.4 seconds, which means it's significantly quicker than a BMW 330i but a half-second or so behind an M3.

[​IMG]

Driven in part by Volvo's need to make a more powerful 5-cylinder engine for its XC90 SUV, engineers increased both the bore and stroke of the T5's 2.3-liter and developed this new powerplant, which displaces 2521 cc and is capped by a new cylinder head with more efficient cooling passages and continuously variable valve timing for both the intake and exhaust camshafts. Aided by twin intercoolers (residing in the R's longer nose) and a hydroformed air pipe for improved airflow, a larger KKK turbocharger doles out 14.5 psi of boost to help this aluminum-block engine put out 300 bhp at 5500 rpm and 295 lb.-ft. of torque from 1950 rpm to 5250. For the record, all S60 Rs fitted with the Aisin-Warner 5-speed automatic produce 258 lb.-ft. of torque from 1850 to 6000 rpm.

Those hoping for a rear-biased all-wheel-drive system will be disappointed because the R behaves like a front-drive car until wheelslip is detected. Then torque is apportioned rearward via the Haldex electronically controlled hydraulic coupling at the rear axle. This quick apportionment is most evident on tight uphill corners, where a typical front-driver will light up its inside front tire when power is applied. In the S60 R, however, before the driver can sense that the front tires have begun to slip, the rears are called into play, enabling the car to power out of the corner with composure. Also aiding the R are stability control and traction control.

Despite 30 visible changes to the car (the most notable being its longer nose and revised front fascia), the R looks much like a standard S60 sedan. But inside there are more aggressively bolstered seats, richer-looking leather, a sportier steering wheel and metallic blue instruments.

[​IMG]
    The buttons have a dramatic effect on the suspension damping. Advanced is too firm for everyday use.

And last, but by no means least, there are three buttons on the dash not found on any other S60 that allow the driver to control the damping characteristics of the high-tech shock absorbers. Comfort mode is appropriately named, ideal for a long trip but floaty when the road starts to twist. At that point, switching to Sport firms up the suspension to the point I prefer on a daily basis. As for the Advanced setting, well, let's just say that very few people have driven a car with suspension this firm. It's for racetrack use only.

All of this highlights the versatility of the S60 R: It shines as a standard everyday sedan when need be, yet — aided by great power, awd power delivery and fascinating suspension technology — it can frolic on any road course without embarrassment. A great effort, priced around $38,000 when it arrives this spring.

[​IMG]

2. MerkurMan

MerkurMan Gimme Nuts, Bolts and 12 Volts

I absolutely love this car. I saw it at the autoshow, and I was gawking. In fact, out of all the manufacturers there, I was most impressed with Volvo's entire lineup. I think I spent the most seat time in their section.

The only thing I don't like about the R is that it's FWD-biased. No tail-out fun. :(

:cool: :bigthumb:

3. MiseryIndex

MiseryIndex i never know why. i only know who. Moderator

i'd love one.

4. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

thats pretty fuckin cool :bigthumb:

5. TriShield

Slick. :cool:

6. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Nice Ford. :cool:

7. dirtysouth

dirtysouth Guest

Cool stuff...

When I was in Atlanta a few weeks ago, I actually had the S60 2.4T for my rental car. It was pretty sweet going balls out every green light knowing that it was a rental. It even had Pirelli rubbers...I don't know if that stock on the Volvo's though. I think I had that puppy up to 120 on I-85 going to Buckhead after work one night. I never knew Volvo's were such sweet cars. They've come a long ways

8. glide

glide primer

I want a S70 R.

9. Sideways

Sideways Do I look like I give a damn?

I like it... ALOT

10. TriShield

Haven't seen you post in awhile. :cool:

11. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

One in black, please.

12. dirtysouth

dirtysouth Guest

I only post in cool threads :bigthumb:

I've been busy too, too much damn work make Howie tired!

13. N8

N8 This fucking guy.

I love that car.

Best interior i've seen in years, it's fucking beautiful. :bowdown:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

14. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

They're always been cool, just. . . quirky. :bigthumb:

15. jk

jk Guest

Man, that might be a decent alternative to the S4. And I don't think it will be as expensive either.

16. WS6Formula350

WS6Formula350 molestache amririte?

Fuckin' hot.

17. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

Super hot. One of the sexiest sedans i've seen.

Wait a second. A volvo.... sexy? :eek: :confused:

18. dirtysouth

dirtysouth Guest

19. MiseryIndex

MiseryIndex i never know why. i only know who. Moderator

i want one damnit.

20. Swedish MeatBaller

Swedish MeatBaller Family Cars are COOL OT Supporter

I have the fucken s60 AWD my sticker price in NY was $38K and change. This car looks soooooo nice I want it soooooo bad but can't get it. Finally Volvo gets some credit

21. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

Bloody impressive car.

Shame it's FWD :( Compromises it's handlnig and winter-readiness.

//edit - Forgot that it has the Haldex AWD system in it. Time for bed, ta-ta.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2003
  22. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

There is an AWESOME video of the S60R and V70R and Tiff has a small part in it while driving it and gives nothing but praises for this car. I'll find the link for it.
    Here it is: http://www.jeuch.com/s60r/volvo_s60r_and_v70r.zip 76Mb
    I think after you have all seen this video, you will love it more than just from what you know by pictures and comments.

BTW, I am a Volvo lover.
    Volvo for life.

23. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

:wtc::wtc::wtc::wtc::wtc::wtc:

Download limit exceeded. Lord no :(

24. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

its not my site

25. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

No, I do have it on my computer, but I have no place to host it.