Volvo guys, got a couple Q's

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Zerobar78, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Zerobar78

Zerobar78 New Member

I'm looking around for a new daily driver and noticed that the late 90's volvo's are nice and cheap these days. What whould I look out for on these cars? I found a V70R for a really good price and am interested in it, would make a good daily driver that I could do HPDE and have a little fun with.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I miss both of my Volvo 850's (had an 854-GLT and 855-T5). They are such fun cars, it's the most comfortable car I've ever had, and they're safe.

V70R is kick-ass. How many miles? It's an interferance motor, so when was the timing belt changed? Take it to a mechanic that *specializes* in sweedish vehicles (saab/volvo) and get them to inspect it. Volvo can be reliable and easy to maintain -- but it can also be an expensive nightmere! Buy a good one from the start, and you'll be okay.

3. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

we had a 1998 V70, not R) and had a lot of rattles and problems.. way more than the older 740 or the S80 and XC90 my father currently owns.

so check for rattles. I can check specifically what problems ours had

4. skeides

skeides New Member

look for either an s70 t5 with a 5spd manual tranny, v70 or c70 with manual tranny. With chip and full exhaust looking at an easy 300hp

5. Huge Evil Robot

Huge Evil Robot Must not sleep, must warn others

How hard is it to find one with a 5speed, and was it only the base models with 5spds? I drive a saab 9000 now, and noticed that there are definitely a lot more swedish manuals than most other makes. Don't know if this applies to volvos as well?

6. the swede

the swede Guest

Most of Volvos in Sweden are Manual and some automatics while here in the US they have more automatic than manual

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you can get the manual tranny in most volvo models and trims. However, a good-condition stick-shift volvo is hard to come by in the US, unfortunatly.

8. Zhenya

Zhenya Guest

is for answers
    avoid 99 cars like the plague, they have an italian drive by wire throttle system that lasts only 50k. and they don't have an update afaik

9. Zhenya

Zhenya Guest

yeah i noticed that there a lot of saab sticks,
    almost NO volvo sticks (i gots one :wavey: )

10. bavboym3

bavboym3 New Member