volvo 850turbo

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by fade, Sep 19, 2004.

1. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

im looking into 850 turbos, and i was wondering if you guys knew of any common problems to look for when buying one.

also, how much would an a/c compressor and installation be for a 94 850 turbo?

2. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

I'd personally stay away from a 94. Try to go 95+. A common 850 problem is the ABS module. It goes bad and you have to buy a new one from Volvo, that is expensive.(There is a guy who did find out how to repair them, possibly.) Volvo's are not cheap to maintain when things go wrong.

3. Bassheadjazz03

Bassheadjazz03 OT Supporter

:werd: shoot for as close to '97 as possible. And if you're lucky, find an 'R'. The ulimate honda surpriser.

4. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=26892

it's that car :hs:

i would like an R or something newer, but i'm a bit tight on cash.
    thought about going with an accord, i can't really think of any other cars in the 4-6grand range. there's something about having a 222hp/221tq turbo volvo that draws me... :hs: the accord is just all out economy :o

5. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

btw - you guys know of any common problems with the 850s? i did find a link to a guy who will rebuild the abs module for 130 dollars. i hear installation isn't hard either.

6. waspride

waspride Can't this wait till I'm old, can I live while I'm

my mom had one for 5 years, never had a problem..

7. XCRDR

XCRDR New Member

I have a 850 '94 with 280 000Kms, alot of it is city driving. The car is still in almost perfect condition even though it has been ridden pretty hard sometimes. That's a good proof of how solid they are. In 10 years, we had almost no major problems except for normal wear and maintenance.

But it's true that this is a very expensive car to maintain. Parts are expensive and volvo dealerships here in canada are charging anywhere from 85 to 99$/hour(canadian) to work on the car, so I stongly advise to find an independant place with good experience on these car...It will end up a lot cheaper...

Otherwise it's a very good car and you wont be disappointed.

By the way, the little dealer that usually works on my car has a 740 that they passed me when my car was in for service. The odometer was at like 73 000 kms...I was like...wow thats low for an 87 car....but it turned out that it was a former taxi and the real mileage was 1 073 000km!! and it was still very clean running very well.

It shows how tough these cars can be if well maintained

8. LBKornhusker

LBKornhusker Muscular cyborg German dude dances with sexy Frenc

FWD? :(

Get an S90 or 740 Turbo. Rwd :bigthumb:

9. frankelefritzsux

frankelefritzsux OT is a mental disorder OT Supporter

the 850 has mega potential for speed, that swedish 5cylinder engine can hold some serious boost. upgrade the turbo (takes half a day) and get an MBC or EBC, put the boost to 18psi and fly!