Volkswagon reliability..

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by SoySauciAl, Mar 20, 2006.

1. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

so what years is good for reliable VWs? i heard they were good until they started assembling them in mexico.

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

reliable VW.. there is an Oxy Moron!

3. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

i had a 88 Jetta with 200k on it and running fine.. hmm.. seriously tho, it use to be good until a certain year.

4. whathappened2u

whathappened2u New Member

I had a 96 and sold it with like 130k on it and it never gave me any major problems though. It's luck of the draw with VW, some are lemons, some never break.

5. Schadenfreude13

Schadenfreude13 New Member

Pick up the latest issue of Consumer Reports magazine, the Car Buying 2006. They list the most reliable used cars, models, years. Unfortunately, the majority of VW's are on the "DO NOT BUY USED" list.

And not all models are made in Mexico. Just the cheaper ones.

6. red97gst

red97gst New Member

engines & transmissions are all solid

problem is the electronics

late model jetta and golf = youre owned

nothing like the ol' elusive check engine light, and constantly breaking power windows/sunroofs,etc...

ive heard most of the later year passats are escaping a lot of the electrical issues, though

but i agree with the fact that it's hit or miss with most of em

7. YoSmoovKid

YoSmoovKid New Member

QFMFT

8. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

Yup definately a hit or miss. The only real problems I have had with my 01 GTI is a failed MAF sensor, which was replaced under extended part warranty (because VW knows there is a problem with them). I also have a water leak in the interior, which I am attempting to fix myself to avoid dealership costs. The third and final thing that I had a problem with was my driver side door switch (the mechanism that senses when the door is open/closed) which went bad somehow, cost me a few hundred to get fixed.

I've owned it over 2 years, there is now just over 65k miles on it, and I would say I'm pretty happy with it. It's never left me stranded like my Accord did.

9. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

what you think of a 94 Jetta with 150k for a grand? owner claims he takes it to work 30 miles away and back without any problems.

10. Jewfro

Jewfro New Member

Well other than the cooling system costing 1000 in hoses and both water pumps, my 1993 VW Corrado has been one hell of a sweet car.

You should get one

11. Bassheadjazz03

Bassheadjazz03 OT Supporter

If it's an automatic, walk (EDIT: RUN) away. But if the electronics are sound, then it'll be a realible car. You cant kill that 8v motor. It's what all the mexicans drive around here.

12. SuPa

SuPa I ruin Naders fun

the motor will run forever.. but the interior will last maybe 10k

13. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

i've owned a number of German made MKII's and most had high kilometers. My current diesel has 400,000+ on original motor and it works fine even under high boost. Everything is falling apart around the engine. Trans is about to go, I need new axles, interior is crap, bumpers falling off. I have had one diesel engine with over a million km's on the block. WHen it runs, it runs great. All my MKii's have been the same.

14. johan

johan Active Member

where are the new GTI's being built? Mexico?

15. Leonard Washington

Leonard Washington OT Supporter

I worked for VW Canada. Lets just say I wouldnt buy anything newer than 98. :hsugh:

16. johan

johan Active Member

shame. I was going to get a tdi. Was.

17. Leonard Washington

Leonard Washington OT Supporter

They're prone to turbo issues after 120,000 kms. I think in the past year, I've seen 60-70 turbo jobs done on mk4 TDI's. At the very least, 1 every week.

18. dew

dew Banned

im at 60k and running fine..

19. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

:ugh:

20. johan

johan Active Member

what fails on the turbos? bearing failure? Are we talking reduced boost/gradual failure or a total failure in most of these cases?

21. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

My friend has a '99 VW Golf. I don't know all the details, but he has had a whole bunch of various issues. He had brake problems, and various electrical issues. He had to have whatever computer that controls the security system replaced (a bit pricey). Now that those things have been addressed, the car has been pretty solid. He is at about 75k miles right now.

22. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My 1999 Passat has/had the following problems:

1. Dead ignition controller.
    2. Leaking valve-cover gasket.
    3. Worn CV joints.
    4. Persistent steering misalignment.

That said, I'm the third owner of the car. It used to be a corporate fleet vehicle, then it was owned by a teenage girl. I think one of them ran over a curb with the right-front tire, because that whole assembly feels loose at times. I don't have any illusions about the frequency of the maintenance under its previous owners. And despite its problems, it runs excellently (once I got the ignition controller and the valve gasket replaced) and I get about 28-36mpg, depending on the weather, the direction of the wind, and the weight of my foot.

The most important thing to remember about European cars is that they are NOT overbuilt at all. Even the heavy frames are only heavy because that makes it safe to drive at 150mph. They are built to do exactly what they were designed for, and one of the things they were designed for is to be maintained on a regular basis. If you don't do this, if you expect to beat on a Euro like it's a pickup truck, it WILL break down. If you do maintain it, you will enjoy the car immensely.

23. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

mk4 vw's don't have a very good reputation in regards to reliability, but imo some of that is from the owners themselves

24. spiff56747

spiff56747 New Member

My parents have a 2001 Passat 4 motion...

It had an oil leak fixed under warranty, then it had some issues with the steering which cost like $200-300 to fix, and now the blinkers and hazard lights don't work, which I believe is a 30 dollar fix.

It has about 90k miles on it I think, I'd say its been pretty solid.

25. dr_jerkvorkian

dr_jerkvorkian New Member

i loved all my dubs:
    mk3 jetta-- gave to family and is still running like a champ
    mk2 corrado-- exploded in a fiery mess :) fuel leak. fun car though.
    mk2 golf-- barely running (electricals are really screwy, and the fuel map SUCKS)
    mk2 jetta-- picked up as a parts car, was in an accident but the engine was crap w/ only 150k. i think the headgasket's worn to hell, but havn't gotten a chance to find out yet

i think in my experience, vw's will take a serious beating, but they won't necessarily be reliable. you can treat them like shit though, totally, and they'll still run halfway decent if you have someone that knows what they are doing work on it.

the newer ones just suck. mk4's are ~1999 and up, i remember they used to have window regulator problems and the passenger windows would randomly drop into the door frame. i think mk3's (1993-1998) were the most reliable.
    mk2's are ok, but they aren't as easy to work on as mk3's imo

i think vw got a reputation for making reliable cars because they were so cheap-- most ppl that bought them had to know how to fix them themselves. nowadays, vw's are higher class so there's a different kind of market driving them.. so to speak