Volkswagen Toureg

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by hedgeborn, Sep 21, 2003.

1. hedgeborn

hedgeborn Guest

[​IMG]

Super luxurious interior with every amenity. Hill descent control. Height adjustable air suspension, NAV system, tiptronic transmison, 12 way power leather seats and so on.

[​IMG]

All wheel drive with locking differentials front and rear, amazing wheel travel and the best chassis rigidity in the industry, it's *extremely* capable off-road, yet handles well and rides like silk on the road.

There's a 5.0 liter twin turbo diesel with 313 hp and 553 lbft of torque that gets 22 mpg coming next year.

[​IMG]

Toureg > * SUV's

2. JoeyCrack

JoeyCrack Active Member

second thread like this today....I said it before and I'll say it again...it will not sell...its not what SUV buyers are looking for

3. troutie

troutie New Member

pics of it rock crawling? :o

4. old_

old_ Active Member

yes please

5. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

from what I've heard... and other diesel sites have said...

the V10-TDI was banned by the EPA for import....so we'll never see it....

especially in cali...:wtc:

6. old_

old_ Active Member

BTW- how much are those things?

7. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Like anyone will take it off-road...

8. hedgeborn

hedgeborn Guest

I think it will do well in it's price class. The luxo-utes are popular and this is the best one yet. It doesn't matter if people are looking for real off road ability or not. How many people who buy Range Rovers take them off road? It's just knowing you can that these people like. I can't see how anything in it's price range can compete with it. It's got as much or more luxury than any of them, it's attractive and sleek and the V10 diesel will outmuscle anything else in other SUV's while getting 22 mpg doing it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. JoeyCrack

JoeyCrack Active Member

hmm lets see escalade or VW, Range Rover or VW, Hummer or VW

the status of the VW is not there and ontop of that porsche can't even sell theirs

10. old_

old_ Active Member

11. hedgeborn

hedgeborn Guest

There were some pics of that on vwvortex, but I could not find them. Trust me, it can. They took it on a challenging course in Utah and none of the other SUV's they brought along could go everywhere it did.

12. hedgeborn

hedgeborn Guest

I hadn't heard that. I hope it's not true, if so then it will come for the 2006 model year for sure. That is when we are scheduled to have ultra low sulfur diesel here in the US. US fuel is the problem, not the European diesels.

13. Mobile

Mobile Guest

Touareg

but ya, no one will take it off road. just more soccer moms using them for urban commute

14. hedgeborn

hedgeborn Guest

You may be right, but the Escalade is a piece of shit by comparison, sorry. The Range Rover is great, but getting long in the tooth, the engine is mediocre.

15. JoeyCrack

JoeyCrack Active Member

I'm sure you heard how the Touregs were held in port due to massive electrical failures some of them not even starting at port.....also from what I've read in the toureg forum on vortex it seems for the small amount of members posting there sure has been alot of problems....typical VW first year product :o

16. hedgeborn

hedgeborn Guest

They start at $33,000

BTW guys, the point of the thread was just that I like 'em and that I think it's the best thing out there for what it is, not that it's going to set any sales records.

You'll notice that the most popular cars in sales are not all that great. Alot of people are clueless and have shit taste.

17. hedgeborn

hedgeborn Guest

VW has quality control problems, but it's not as if GM doesn't. I wouldn't buy any first year model of anything.

The Escalade is great if you have a lot of kids and need to tow a boat I guess, but it is crude in comparison to the Toureg in every way and wouldn't have a chance against it off road.

Again, I am not talking about what other people would do with it. I would take it off-road (carefully) if I had one.

18. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

if i were in the market for a luxury SUV, i would buy one in a heartbeat...I've only seen one in person, and its friggin awesome, this one had the V8 and the guy who owned it was pretty cool with me checking it out. IMO its one of the best looking sport ute's on the road

It wouldn't be as niggardly as an escalade, not as retarded as an H2, and even though its a VW, it has to be cheaper to maintain than a Range Rover, Porsche shouldnt even be making SUV's, so i wouldnt buy theirs

ibsomeonebashesmyopinion

19. hedgeborn

hedgeborn Guest

The Porsche SUV is based on the Toureg.

The Toureg comes with a 3.2 V6 with 240 hp or the 4.2 liter Audi V8.

I agree the H2 is retarded and for all it's macho looks, the Toureg would trounce it off road.

20. JoeyCrack

JoeyCrack Active Member

my point of hummer, escalade, and land rover/range rover wasn't off road capability, hell the jeep guys on this board can trounce anything for the most part....my point was people don't spend 60 g's on an SUV thats just best in class...they want status from it too

21. hedgeborn

hedgeborn Guest

I hear what you're saying. They should have marketed it as an Audi, though Audi is coming out with their own SUV/wagon hybrid based on the new A8.

The Toureg is nowhere near $60k though, they start at $33k and nothing for $33k can touch it. You can easily spend $33k on a Toyota 4Runner much less a Sequoia and the Toyota name has no more image than VW.

Think about it.

22. mucky

mucky .

Toureg V6 starts at just over $35.5k. Toyota 4Runner starts at $28k ($30k for 4WD model). Sequoia is a full-size V8 SUV and starts at $32k ($35.5k for 4WD)

I rather have an Infiniti FX over the Toureg. :hs:

23. Phil02E46

Phil02E46 mystash.org

:werd:

24. laydback

laydback Active Member

ibvwnazi

oops nevermind :wiggle:

25. JoeyCrack

JoeyCrack Active Member

I copied this right off of VW's website for a base model v8
    Base MSRP: 40700
    Selected options: 0
    Destination charge: 615

Total MSRP*: 41315

when i went ahead and loaded it up with options it was a hair under 50k dollars....i'd expect the TDi to cost another 5-6 grand on top of that....so we are around 55 ish...thats close enough to 60 for me