Volcano 9 users ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JazzHound, Jan 19, 2003.

1. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

Hey, just upgraded my HSF setup and it's loud as hell, but the temperature is more than worth the sacrifice. I tried to setup using the sensor so it will modulate the RPM but the diagram says to put it underneath the CPU, only I find it obstructs with the pins so I can't really use it as instructed.

Did anyone have this problem? Also what the heck are you suppose to use to make it stick ? the picture shows some white compound (thermal grease?)

Wow this sucker is loud!

2. sushibug

sushibug :happysad:

did you apply thermal grease between the die and heatsink?

for the sensor.. just stick it there.. the wire is thin enough to go through the pins. its just easier to control the RPM w/ the little module they give you. mine is set at 4,000 RPMs and i cant hear it rhough my case.

3. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

I used artic silver 3 instead of the pad they packaged. The case I use is compaq which i took the sides off so I can hear it. Right now it's 3440RPM emmitting about the same db's as my stock AMD fan.

Running wolfenstien in the background and temp is at 54celcius which was my idle temp on the stock fan :eek:

btw, the sensor wires is thin but the base where its clumped together with the sensor is large, maybe i need to contort it abit.

4. sushibug

sushibug :happysad:

54C is pretty hot. how are you getting the temperature reading? via MBM, BIOS, or other?

how much AS3 did you put.. its supposed to be paper thin.

5. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

I've probably used too much come to think of it. I put a big glob on it and had to even it out with a Qtip, plus extract some excess.

Readings are from my ASUS Probe util.

[​IMG]

I overclocked it quite abit. added another 110Mhz of processing power :big grin: