VOIP~ MagicJack Heard of it? Prob. old news to you guys but new to me.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

MagicJack

(repost?)

So you don't have to follow a link I'll past the info here.

College kids that are on a budget and only have their cell as a phone line can now have a home phone for 40$ A YEAR. You can take the hardware with you ANYWHERE and plug it into ANY COMPUTER (that has an internet connection) and it installs the software automatically and your phone line is right there with you.
    That, my friends, is pretty bad ass.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

repost, and it's gonna be bankrupt soon. basically a shiny package version of what sunrocket already tried (and failed at).

bottom line is that phone service costs money to provide, so when companies don't charge more than they have to pay to maintain, they go belly-up.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Even if it winds up failing, I could see where this could be a good deal for some people.

4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

When I was looking into getting VOIP a couple months ago I found several carriers that would do it for as little as 1$ a month. The problem was the software was buggy and it was a bitch to setup. Do a search. You can find several VOIP companies that offer service for less than 40$ a year. Though these services don't have any hardware and it's not nearly as clean and functional.

5. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

One issue I see with it is that it plugs into a computer for its network connection and not strait into a router. Therefore your computer has to be on for it to work..

6. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

VOIP is sweet. i call my SO in the states from .021 cents per min, not a bad deal for unlimited international calling. and thats skype to cell, skype to skype is free.

7. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Do you notice any lag in your voices with Skype? I tried it out once but noticed about a 2 second lag which was awkward.