voice recognition software

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by snipell, Nov 17, 2006.

1. snipell

snipell New Member

My sister has been having some pain in her wrists because she works as a typist/researcher and uses the keyboard and mouse all day. I was wondering if anyone has used a recent version (they’re on 9.0) of Dragon Naturally Speaking ( http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/ ) and if it’s worth looking into as a voice recognition program or if there’s something else you’d recommend?

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVORAK maybe?

That should be standard in such a job, sheesh.

I switched to DVORAK for about a week one time (you just swap the keys (pry 'em out) and reconfigure the OSes layout), I LIKED it as a layout (rarely lifting my fingers off the home keys... very rarely) but........learning how to use it, quickly, is HAAAAARD.

ergonomic keyboard too. This is for when she gets back to typing (assuming she does ...)

3. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

its GREAT

It takes a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, its really awesome!

You have to "train" it initially, and learn the commands and such, and there will be little errors, but the cool thing is that the program learns from its mistakes and fixes it

Also, you can train it to recognize certain words, like your name, so it wont misspell it or try to word it out

Its a great program! If you have any more questions, please ask away :hs::wiggle:

4. snipell

snipell New Member

Oh cool. One question - what version do you have? the new version of Dragon (9.0) says it needs no training to work. I wonder if it still learns from you? It must. How does it work for things other than a straight document, like surfing the web and IMing and the other stuff it says it can do?

5. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

Dragon Speek's awsome

I've used dragon speek for the last few years, love the program, writing large documents was cake once it leaned my voice.

6. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

I have the new version, and YES you do need to "train" it by which training means you read some text for ~20-30 minutes and you're done

havent tried surfing the web yet, but you can make posts like this with it (but it will be correctly formatted, through im sure you can make it learn things like "smileylol" and it will automatically put : lol : = :rofl:
    and IM yea its the same thing, though I dont think you can get it to press "enter" just by saying it...

7. snipell

snipell New Member

Meh, 20-30 minutes is nothing. I've heard horror stories about people traning other voice recognition programs for upwards of 40 hours... yikes! Not worth it. Well, anyway, I just ordered a copy of Dragon for my sister, and another for myself. After all this talk I got interested. :)