voice messaging - what's the story, what do you use and is it easy

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by piratepenguin, May 28, 2007.

1. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I'm not long after getting off an 80 minute phone call to someone I talk to online in a different country, yet is in a neighbouring county (you'd think this would be the first thing we'd look at when working on cross border relations.. but we've gay telecom operators). Tis gonna cost me a fucking bomb when the bill comes, would've well been cheaper to get a return bus even though we get shitty fares, and us mere secondary students get the worst altogether.

Rant over. The internet saves right?

Who uses much VOIP software, which is what I want right? I need something cross platform (I use GNU/Linux, everybody else uses Windows), preferably free. Also tell me about SIP, it's in free software such as GNOME Ekiga, and I dunno what it's about.

I'd like something also where it's possible to have more than two people in a chat.

And I'd like more suggestions to simply Skype, if at all possible. Tell me, anyone ever use OpenWengo?

Should be simple to setup too, because everybody's a noob including me these days.

Hell, how's MSN's voice support? Do any GNU/Linux programs work well with it?

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

It's PC to PC calls I'm interested in btw.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

all the consumer-grade voip products I've tried are crap. Unless you're talking about using DS0 channels from your telco you're probably not gonna be too happy.

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Out of interest, what would that involve?

Is even Skype really that crap? I guess I must test it. I can understand them all being crap on slower connections, but so many people have fairly and very fast broadband now.

And just throwing this out, are there affordable modems.... you can program - put scripts on and such? Can asterisk do that? What hardware would I need for it?

Say, if I wanted to use an answering machine on my computer.

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

As long as you both have good internet connections (including a relatively fast uplink speed) the quality should be fine. I use a SIPs provider over a 4mb/1mb connection and the quality is fine. Slightly worse than POTs but not very.

Skype would be the easiest but you could certainly setup a Asterisk server if you feel comfortable with it. There is an excellent book by O'Reilly (Asterisk: The Future of Telephony). You can get a free PDF copy (it's Creative Commons licensed) here: http://voipspeak.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=2

Again: Skype would be easiest. I've never used it though so I can't comment.

As far as equipment, it depends on what you want to do. You can use a soft phone with SIPs or use a dedicated handset. You can get decent VOIP handsets for around $200. Skype has a number of options including soft phones, WiFi, and USB devices, but again, never used them...

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Would likely involve about $600 per month. It would give you approximately 24 voice channels. Way overkill for what you want. It's how many call centers and businesses do it, however.

SIPS is good, but I don't recommend it on most consumer-grade connections. ESPECIALLY not cable. You'll run into problems with jitter.

7. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Excellent, I've often considered Asterisk something I needed to seriously look at.

Just to be clear before I take that serious look when I finish my exams tomorrow, would I be able to setup an Asterisk server doing SIP and people with accounts can use a SIP client (on Windows and GNU/Linux) to talk to eachother? I don't need to arse about with hardware - my internet-connected computer will do the trick?

This shit is so fucking complicated on Wikipedia that I'm almost hoping I'm looking at the wrong stuff :s
    My brother got my parents a USB skype phone a good while ago. I thought "what a fucking cool idea" but it seems even though it has a Linksys sticker on it, it needs to be connected to a computer that's running skype to work. Must track that down and take another look.

edit: thanks guys.

8. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Huh, I'm on skype now and the quality is fucking brilliant, better than on the phone. I guess that won't be so true for people on not such fast connections, but, fuck, unbelievable.

piratepenguin if anyone wants to talk :big grin:

9. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter