VNC on a mac into a windows machine with ease?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Apr 28, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i'm thinking about taking my current computer and using it as a file server. i'd like to be able to vnc into it periodically to organize things, defrag check properties etc.
    i'd like to get a mac mini
    i've used ultravnc and windows desktop on windows machines to get into other windows machines before.

are there any free vnc programs for osx that would allow me access into a windows machine?
    also another question. my computer in the basement is an xp pro, it hosts my printer, will i have trouble printing to that from my mac mini?

i guess i could always run bootcamp and not have to worry about anything...

one more thing, can anyone justify the $200 difference between the solo and duo, yes you get 20 gigs more space and a super drive and dual cores, but really does it make it a huge difference? i plan to upgrade to a gig of ram also

2. Jack Imhoff

Jack Imhoff Guest

Yes, there is a program that will let you remote into windows boxes. I use it all the time but I cant remember what it's called. I'll try to remember to check when I get home tonight. I'm thinking it might be called Remote Desktop Client? And, I think it might have come with OSX. Im not 100% sure but someone else might know for sure in the meantime.

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

I use:

Chicken of the VNC - Client
    OSXVNC - Server

Both work very well. Printing to XP printer is fine, if you have troubles connecting to it, go to control panel>addremove programs, install Print Services For UNIX. Then you can use your mac's 'ip printing' (lpr) to print to the windows' machines IP, queue name is the printers name.

4. Jack Imhoff

Jack Imhoff Guest

Oh yeah, that's it OSXVNC Works great

5. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

6. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

how's the performance with this compared with other vnc solutions?

7. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

I've used it from dial-up connections, Citrix, DSL, and Gigabit Ethernet, and I've never had any speed issues with it. Granted, any connection faster than dial-up is always ideal. ;)

If anything, it's one less thing that can break on a Windows box. On the Windows box, just right-click My Computer -> Properties, select the Remote tab, enable remote access, and that's all there is to it. Now you can remotely control your Windows computer from either a Windows or Mac computer.

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Remote desktop is very good. even on crappy connections. VNC can only dream of that.. different technologies.

9. dorkultra

i'm currently selling one of my lifetimed tivos, so that will make up for most of the cost of the mini.
    i'm pretty sure i will pay a little extra and go with the core duo

10. dorkultra

oh, and the only reason i need it to be a windows xp machine is because i need to use tivo desktop to download the shows. tivo desktop seems to be only supported under 2000/xp

11. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

why not use the mac version of tivo desktop?

http://www.tivo.com/4.9.4.1.asp

12. dorkultra

this is why:
    "TiVo Desktop is available for the Macintosh OS X, v10.3 and later. This includes Digital Music & Photos only - not TiVoToGo transfers."

i have a feeling that tivo will soon release a mac friendly version of tivo desktop soon, that will let mac users actually transfer shows (i think the problem is with the codec that decrypts the file with your media access key number)...although, they just recently updated it in april to be a universal binary...who knows
    tivo desktop is due for an update anyways. i've seen screenshots, i think from this years CES, that showed the newest beta, it had integrated ipod support for file conversion...i'll have to wait and see.

13. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

I saw those screenshots too, I will go buy a Tivo the very day that is released! :)

14. dorkultra

should be soon. someone on tivocommunity already cracked it to transfer files from a mac to a tivo:
    Starting the TiVo Desktop server also placed a "TiVoShows" folder in my home directory. Just placing a file in that directory didn't do anything, even after starting and stopping the server.

So, I look at the "Raw" preferences, i.e., in Terminal:

Code:
    defaults read com.tivo.desktop​

and see the following in the output:

Code:
    FileVideo = {
    Enabled = 0;
    ShareAll = 1;
    SharedItems = ("/Users/dennis/TiVoShows");
    SharingName = "Elroy (Dennis J Wilkinson II)";
    VideoUIEnabled = 0;
    vKey = "";
    }; ​

Hmm. Let's try enabling it:

Code:
    defaults write com.tivo.desktop FileVideo -dict-add Enabled -bool true​

and restart the server. Hey hey... my Mac is in my Now Playing list -- with the MPEG file I added listed. But what's this "VideoUIEnabled" switch?

Code:
    defaults write com.tivo.desktop FileVideo -dict-add VideoUIEnabled -bool true​

Re-open the TiVo Desktop pref pane and, yup... there's a Video tab now, that'll let you enable/disable video sharing, set the location, enter your MAK, and set a video share name.

In other words, as Dan surmised above, they implemented TiVoToComeback! [​IMG]

If you want to play with this yourself, just:

1) Stop the TiVo Desktop server in the pref pane. Close the pref pane.

2) Launch the Terminal utility (in /Applications/Utiliities) and, at the prompt, enter the following command (copy and paste is your friend) and press return:
    Code:
    defaults write com.tivo.desktop FileVideo -dict-add VideoUIEnabled -bool true​

If you have Apple's developer tools installed, you can open the com.tivo.desktop.plist file in your preferences folder with the Property List Editor and change the setting that way, too.

3) Reopen the pref pane, turn on video sharing, and set things up as you like. I don't know if you need to enter your MAK -- I didn't, and a plain-jane MPEG transferred OK, but I haven't tried a .tivo file.)

4) Start the server again.

Disclaimer time: Use at your own risk. If it's there, but turned off, there may very well be a reason for it (as in, it might not be ready for prime time, may have ghastly bugs, et cetera.) I've transferred exactly one MPEG file of the right flavor so far, and it worked. But if this thing goes off and trashes your hard drive, devours your children, whatever: don't blame me or TiVo. It was hidden, after all.