VMWare w/ XP host runnin Redhat guest

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CaseLogic, Dec 4, 2003.

1. CaseLogic

CaseLogic Longhorns - Mavs - Cowboys - Tool - 24 - Lost - Th

I've got it all installed, with VMWare tools and everything, but the performance seems pretty crappy and sluggish. My mouse is pretty choppy and even mozilla takes a few seconds to load. Is this just the way VMWare is, or can I fix this through some tweaking?

If some tweaking will fix the prob, can you guys help a brotha out? :x:

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I think it's just the way VMWare is... It runs OK for me as long as I'm not bogging it down with much, but mine is also on NT4, so it doesn't have the overhead XP does.

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

keep in mind that you are trying to run 2 operating systems on 1 set of hardware... it is going to be slow, especially depending on your specs

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:werd:

Also depends on how you installed the OS, and how you allocated the HD space and RAM..

I have VMWare running on my XP Pro box with quite a few OS's installed.. RH8 being one of them. I allocated it 128mb of RAM with 6GB of HD space, and a healthy sized swap.. and I really have no complaints to be honest. Runs perfect for now. :x:

5. drewski_amk

drewski_amk Guest

try disabling some of the services/daemons that you don't need in RedHat (and even XP) such as ftpd, sendmail, imap, etc... might help a little.