VMWare server on top of Windows VPS web server? possible? bad idea?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 95vr4, Feb 6, 2009.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

*edit-This def needs cliffs - (can I run a VMWare lamp server on top of an MSVS Windows VPS without problems?)

I've got a Windows VPS running 2 E-Commerce sites (+ about 15 other sites which don't get enough traffic to even mention). Php is installed and running but for various reasons (one being that we're stuck on php 4 since it's bundled w/ plesk and upgrading php (same deal w/ mysql) is known to cause all kinds of major problems w/ plesk :rolleyes:). It'd be nice to have a bare bones lamp server for the few things we use php for.

So I'm wondering if I could get away w/ just throwing a vmware lamp server on the vps? There's plenty of ip's to spare (8), only 2 need to be dedicated for SSL certs. Manually specify the ip's for iis to bind to, DL vm client and config lamp and I'm basically good to go right? My only concern really is if VMWare and MSVS virtualization will play together nicely. I don't really see why they wouldn't, but figured I better ask 1st on that one.

We're currently using a fraction of our available resources so there should be plenty available for this.
    Specs on VPS
    -Both E-Commerce sites on classic asp and mysql, both combined probably average only 1-1.5 million page views per month.
    -1gig guaranteed ram
    -50gig disk
    -MSVS virtualization
    -(see pic below)

Also, any recommendations on baseline specs (ram, disk space) required to run a basic lamp server? Just need to run a few of your average open source php apps, none of which currently get any significant traffic)

Any other concerns that I'm missing here?

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

so you want to run one virtual server inside another one? i wouldn't do it on anything i considered production. since the devices inside the VPS host are already virtual, who knows how VMWare would interact with them.

3. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Exactly, just need a barebones lamp server since the few php apps we run get very little traffic.

I'm pretty much on the exact page as you as you....don't really know enough details about virtualization to know for sure, but definitely see the potential for conflicts. I know there's a lot of guys out there that specialize virtualization and is all they do. Was hoping to find one of those guys to get a straight answer from.

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Deus uses vmware a bit. I do know you can run a solaris zone inside a sun ldom. :)

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Umm... what version of Plesk are you guys running? You should have PHP4 and PHP5 both available to you natively if you're on Plesk for Windows 8.x or 9; I think even 7.5.6 had both available but don't quote me.

I'm willing to bet whatever you need to run can be made to work on your Windows/Plesk VPS without adding another layer of virtualization/complication to this; I have fairly extensive experience "hacking" Plesk on Windows boxes, specifically where things like PHP are concerned. Sometimes all that's needed is direct tweaking in the Plesk database to make oddball stuff like this work.

PM me if you want some advice/info... I may be able to help.

6. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

7.6.1 ..... which kinda seems like BS since we've only had the machine for ~1.5 years. Almost positive there's no php5. We're actually about to start up another project which we're probably going to go w/ a fully dedicated, so I'll probably be leaving this VPS as is for now.

Just checked out Plesk 9, it looks :coold:. Is it much better than 7.6? Other than the outdated SW issues, that old version of Plesk isn't terrible, it serves it's purpose pretty well.

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Plesk 9 is definitely nicer than 7.6 was; mainly because it fixes a lot of bugs and adds new functionality. Personally I still prefer working with 8.x, but either way you get a LOT more control and a better interface than 7.6 had.