VMware question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Jul 20, 2006.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Hi

How do I share files from my system on the virtual machine thats powered on.... for example when I enable a shared folder im guessing it would be under /mnt but its not there.. when I try to install VMware tools it just sits there doesnt appear to be doing anything.. i have a few linux installs going

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Is this an ESX server?

You need to be a bit more clear. You're talking about two seperate things or steps, nfs sharing and VMware tools. What machine(s) do you want to mount this share from? If you run `showmount -e <nfs server>` does it properly list the name of the share?

On the client how are you mounting it? Manually? fstab entry? autofs?

For vmware tools are you installing the default one that is on the ESX server or did you create your own custom one?

3. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Sorry, I have Vmworkstation 5 installed on Windows XP I have three virutal machines going their all linux and they work fine as they should but the sharing part doesn't so maybe im not looking at the right spot.

When I move out of the guest window it says VMtools are not installed, when I attempt to install it... it just sits there doesn't appear its doing anything figured its what I needed for sharing files. kinda new to vmworkstation

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Should be able to do it just via Windows File Sharing and Samba. I've never used VMWare that way, though (only Windows guest on Linux host), so I can't give any specific tips :dunno:

5. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Depending on the kernel you'll have to keep it updated then add a module I believe. You can't just turn on file and print sharing since the kernels and FS are different. Every time I enabled it and upgraded the kernel I had to redownload a patch to make it create the shares again.