Vmware or VmServer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Sep 4, 2009.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Wanting to setup Windows Server or XP pro doesn't matter so I can access office stuff remote. My OS is Vista and very capable of handling a VM so I can save on having to setup a secondary computer but which would be ideal for this purpose Vmware or Vmserver ?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can't build new virtual machines with VMware Player, you have to use VMware Server or VMware ESXi to do that. If I had the option, I would run VMware Player on my machine, and have a pre-configured VM installed in it that could run VMware Server, so I could use that for the sole purpose of creating new VMs and then copying them to my machine without having to crap up my machine with a bunch of services that don't need to be running constantly.

Alternately, you can install VMware Player and I can create a blank VM for you and email them to you or something, if you tell me how much disk space you want it to have and how many cores your processor has. They don't take up more than a few megabytes when they're empty.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I use VMWare Workstation 6.0 on my local machine for setup and basic configuration then I move them over to one of my VMWare Server 2.0 boxes. If you are just using it for local stuff I would go with the Workstation product, no need to get Server ...

4. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I have both actually but someone said vmserver isn't the way to go. Fun part is networking them :o since my host OS isn't remote connectable yet.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'd choose VMware over any of its competitors right now -- it offers 64-bit host and guest support and it isn't built into a Microsoft product.

ESXi is the way to go if a network-only interface is acceptable to you, but if you want to run them on your desktop machine, VMware Player is the only practical choice -- or VMware Workstation, if you're willing to pay. I don't know how much it costs these days.