VMware fusion 3D hardware acceleration

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by c.a, Jun 8, 2008.

1. c.a

c.a New Member

is there a way to get 3d hardware acceleration to work when i'm running windows through vmware fusion, i just want to play a game

2. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

There's an option in the VM settings to turn on 3D acceleration, but I don't think it works that well.

If you want to do hardcore PC gaming, you should boot into Windows natively using Bootcamp.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

You can turn it on by selecting the guest OS and then clicking the Settings button. Under graphics there is an option to turn on hardware acceleration. Even with it on, there are only a couple games that are supported. If you want to play game, you will most likely have to install Windoze via Boot Camp and run it that way.

4. c.a

c.a New Member

hmm.. runs a little better now but still really choppy and bad.. oh well. it was only 15 bucks. (ms flight simulator 2004) on a brand new mbpro

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Run it under Boot Camp and it'll run just fine.

6. c.a

c.a New Member

so i have to reinstall windows on another partition?

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Yes. You would have to use Boot Camp to create a bootable Windows partition.

8. c.a

c.a New Member

fuck it

9. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

If you make a dedicated windows partition, you can set up Fusion to run that one as a guest OS as well as be able to boot it natively. I like having the option.

10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I think that's the way I'm gonna go with my new MacBook Pro. I just don't like a partition taking up unneeded space (wish it was dynamically expanding like Fusion and Parallels files).

11. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

i used to use BC, but for what I need I use VMWare now exclusively. I like the suspend feature in VMware over having to boot the OS and shut it down properly.

12. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Yes VMWare is much better in almost every way but for gaming like the thread starter is looking to do, it just isn't an option.

13. c.a

c.a New Member

which is strange because im sure thats why many people would like to use it

14. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Hardware graphics accelerations is definitely something they're working on but getting DirectX to work is pretty difficult it seems.

15. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

When you're running a VM, Windows doesn't really have control over the hardware, everything is going through the VM layer. They're working on making it better, but it'll never be as good as boot camp.