VMware Fusion 3

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hank85, Oct 27, 2009.

1. hank85

hank85 sudo shred /dev/sda -f -v -z --iterations=6

[​IMG]

woooot!

2. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I am running the same thing. How do you get better video performance inside the VM? I have win7 x64 running on my 17" MBP (brand new), and video files do not play, nor can I play video games inside the VM. Should be installing any video drivers?

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

any speed increase or noticeable stability increases?

4. hank85

Be sure to have the VMware tools installed. Since the VM doesn't have direct access to your video card it is using a simulated SVGA adapter provided by VMware. I'm not exactly sure how this will effect things when you start to run a VM from your bootcamp partition.

As far as 3d performance goes DX10 is not supported under the VM, you'll have to use bootcamp in order to give W7 full access to your video card.

I also wouldn't expect to play HD content on a VM.

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Interesting.... I'm running Win7 on fusion 2.1 right now and it seems to be fine; how much better is 3?

6. hank85

I couldn't tell you, I've never run W7 on anything other than Fusion 3. There are obviously some glitches but that's to be expected with virtualization. I've got Fusion 3 running in full screen on a second desktop space, can't see any slow down in my computing OSX computing (multiple CS4 programs running) so that's good news.

But like I said, don't expect native-like performance in 3d acceleration. Aero does in fact work quite well though.

(I've only been a Mac user for 5 days now.)

7. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Also been using win7 x64 on VM 2.1 without any issues for quite some time. Boots faster than my xp vm and that's fast.

8. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Had it running Windoze 7 Ultimate 64-bit yesterday. Seems to work fine.

9. Pepe

Pepe New Member

couple questions for fusion users...

1. if i get the student discount windows 7, is it like snow leopard in that i can install it on multiple machines (have a pc that needs it too), or is it just 1 and done?

2. if i have microsoft office for my mac, can i use that with windows as well or is that even an issue since you can dual boot?

i'm very serious about doing this, i just want to know a little more before i purchase windows 7 and fusion. thanks.

10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

1) You can only install Windoze 7 on one machine as you have to enter your serial number and then activate which registers your serial to the hardware you're running it on.

2) The serials and licenses for Office for Mac and PC are different. You can't use the same license key to register Office for PC that you used for the Mac version.

11. Pepe

Pepe New Member

thanks for the reply. is it even an issue with only having office on the mac part since you can dual boot? the more i think about it, the more stupid it sounds to need to have it on both OS X and your windows 7 boot...

12. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Unless you need a feature that only the Windows version has now (the only major one I can think of now is Visual Basic for Applications), you shouldn't need Office on both. There really aren't many reasons left why you should run Windows on a Mac anymore, unless you have a special app that you just can't find a Mac OS compatible replacement for or you need to test how websites etc. look on Windows if you're a developer, or if you are a hard core gamer.

13. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

with Fusion you don't really dual boot...
    you run both os's at the same time (ie: OSX in the "background" and Windows in a "virtual machine")