VMWare and Debian?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Dec 2, 2003.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

All this talk about VMWare, and I've decided to start playing with it again. This program rules.

SO. I want to install Debian.. so I can run my own internal SSH server, just to learn with, etc. When I go to install, and need to mount a previously-intialized partition (through NFS server?), which I've created the "partition image" through VMWare.. but when I point to it (via IP, i enter: 192.168.1.101/ssh/" for the share I created), it tells me "Mount Failed: File Exists"..

Any thoughts? I'm lost on this one. :hs:

EDIT: Basically Debian is telling me that it can't find a hard drive, or an existing partition to mount...when I've already created one through VMW.

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

you're trying to install debian over the network? i'm kinda confused

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yeah, explain further, I'm confused too.

4. DatacomGuy

Sorry, my original post does seem to ramble, doesn't it? :)

I want to install Debian (command line) in VMWare. I pre-created the partition (1.0GB).

As I'm going through install process, installer tells me that it can't find a hard drive. I can setup the NIC, and set it up to pull an IP from DHCP, which I'm running on the network. This isn't a problem.. pulls IP fine.

So now since it can't find HDD, it's asking me to mount a previously-intialized partition.. This is where I get lost. I try to point to it (via IP, i enter: 192.168.1.101:/ssh/" for the share I created), it tells me "Mount Failed: File Exists"..

Not sure where else to go. Now, the /SSH/ location is on an NTFS partition on my XP host. Do I need to fire up RH8 VM and enable NFS to serve the debian server? :rofl:

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Ah, I see what you mean. The NT installer found my fake hard drive just fine when I installed it in VMWare :dunno:

6. DatacomGuy

It's weird.. RH8, Win2K, and Win98 found it all fine. debian doesn't. :hs:

7. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

hmm that is odd. i've only used SuSE with VMware and it worked fine as well... interesting thing is that when it recognized it as a valid partition the type was labeled something weird that had to do with VMware specificly. dunno man :confused: