VMWare and Asm

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CyberBullets, Sep 5, 2003.

1. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

since my ASM class uses win98se (cause 2k limits access to the hardware) if i were to toss a VMWare boot with win98se, should i have any problems?

as i see it, it shouldnt have problems, but who knows....

anyone try it?

i dont wanna dual boot, cause my 60gb is full...

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

You have any old old gear to build a 2nd box? Make it a DOS only box or maybe toss Win9x on there if there's room. Seriously, 10mb drive, 2-4mb RAM, a floppy, monitor, keyboard, and mouse optional and you're good to go (and some might argue the specs here are pretty generous). If you have any hamfests coming up, you probably could get a good deal on a low grade Pentium box. If not, let me know and I might be able to hook you up pretty cheap with a P200-ish box (2gb drive maybe, 16mb RAM, ect).

I haven't used VMWare. You might be fine with it. How well does it handle crashing? :) (expect to lock up the box with either infinite loops or crazy interrupt calls)

I don't think MASM takes up a lot of space. There's a chance you could put the guts of MASM on floppy and assemble from there (the floppy will be your bottleneck though).

Or...

Put DOS on a floppy and make a RAM disk (then toss MASM in RAM). The only problem with this is it will lengthen your boot time which can be a factor if you're troubleshooting a program. Is a bootable CD an option? That would be uber-cool.

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

What flavor of Assembly you doing in class? Intel or Motorola?

Let me know if you want to browse my Assembler class notes.

4. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

intel.

i got an extra box, no monitor for it though so i vnc to it. its my server running 2k.

im sure i can get it running 9x/dos if needed. we are using MASM and then some C with asm sub-routines (later on)