VM Ware Pros

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Funk T, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Funk T

Funk T New Member

Hey,

I did a search on google and came up with nothing but more questions. Is it possible to use Windows VM Ware to run Mac OS X? :hs:

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

doesn't look that way

3. Funk T

Funk T New Member

Hmm....interesting

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

No. Mac OS runs on different hardware architecture. VM Ware can't emulate that. At the last seminar I went to in NYC, they stated it never will.

But your title and thread are misleading. Are you looking for the Pro/cons of vm ware deployment? For home? Work? Or looking to see how you can run mac os on a x86?

5. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

Pro would be cost of the software would be cheaper then buying multiple computers/workstations/servers and licenses.

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Huh? You still have to obtain a license for each VM instance running on that single server. The lic's for the OS, db, backup software, apps, everything.

The money you save is in hardware (which isn't much), not software lic's.

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

You've never actually priced a VMWare server have you? No offense, but cost is not one of big selling points. ESX server is expensive! GSX is cheaper, but more limited and you have to run it on another OS.

The hardware to run the VM's isn't exactly cheap either. You really need 4 way or better boxes with lots and lots of RAM. The benefit is in being able to bring servers up and down dynamically. Hell, you can even transfer one running VM to another. It moves all the memory, disk, I/O, and network connections from the source to the target VM without stopping the source machine. Very cool stuff, but no way is it cheaper than individual servers (at least for hard cost).

8. mace

mace i don't read

I wonder if it would work if you ran VMWare within Virtual PC

9. ins3cure

ins3cure Old School Noob

VMWare is not an emulator which is what you'd need to run OS X on non-mac architecture. Pear PC is the closest thing you'll find for this but there running OS X on a Windows machine will not even compare to running it on the hardware it was designed for.

10. ins3cure

ins3cure Old School Noob

You probably could do this, but just as with running Mac OS on a Windows machine you probably wouldn't ever want to do it.

I believe VirtualPC limits virtual system RAM to 512 MB which flat out blows. Running even one VMWare image under this would likely be incredibly slow.

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Interesting factoid: Word has it that there is an x86 version of OSX floating around inside Apple in case they have a falling out with Motorola and replace the chips in their machines. We can only hope for a leak :naughty:

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

this rumor has been floating around long before the osx days... dating back to intel vs. amd around the era of the P2 and K7.