GUN VLTOR Modstock

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thedude11, Sep 30, 2008.

1. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I want to get a VLTOR Modstock for my AR build, the regular one like Sardaukar has...not the clubfoot.

The VLTOR site has two Modstock kits and I'm not sure what the difference is. :o It looks like one comes with another set of cheek welds or something but I'm not sure.
    Sardaukar, which kit did you get? :o

Since I'm doing my own build, it doesn't matter whether or not I pick mil-spec or commercial, correct? I read that VLTOR makes a mil-spec tube anyways that correct?

2. Can't help you with the first part. You can get either the mil-spec or the commercial, it doesn't matter. Just make sure that you get the buffer and tube that match the stock. The mil-spec buffer tube is smaller than the commercial, so if you get a commercial stock and a mil-spec buffer they'll go together, but it'll be loose, and that's not good. Basically, just make sure you get all mil-spec or all commercial.

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

go all milspec. theres no reason to get a commercial stock because 90% of stocks are mil spec.

4. johnson

johnson New Member

The threads on milspec and commercial tubes are different also.

Are you putting together a carbine length or mid length rifle?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  5. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

I bought kit #ACK-2S, but am not using the cheek weld adapters. I'm using the long storage compartments to hold extra CR123A batteries. Not even sure where the cheek weld adapters are. :mamoru:

Do you also need the buffer, spring, receiver extension, etc.? If not, I would just buy a basic kit like
    ACB-2S.

[​IMG]

6. How? They screw into the same threads on the receiver.

7. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

The only difference I recall is that commercial tubes have a slightly larger diameter than milspec.

8. Yeah, the external diameter of the commercial tubes is roughly the same as the crest of the threads. The milspec tube is slightly smaller in diameter than the crest of the threads. The threads are (they have to be) the same though. Mlispec tubes might have what looks like 2 different threads, but it's the same thread pitch just cut into the place in the tube where the diameter changes.

9. kds000

kds000 New Member

if you get a commercial tube you're very limited on what stocks you can use

10. johnson

johnson New Member

I shouldve clarified. Mil-spec tubes have threads that are 1.1875" diameter with a 1.147" diameter tube. The commercial tubes have threads that are 1.17" which is the same diameter of the tube so the threads are just a tad short so they dont engage the receiver as well as the mil-spec tubes.

http://www.magpul.com/pdfs/technotes/ctr/buffertubeid.pdf

11. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I thought mil-spec tubes were slightly larger than commercial... :o

I do need need all the parts Sardaukar so I'll have to get the kit. So yours isn't setup with the "cheek welds".. you have the compartment storage ones on instead? I think it looks good that way anyways...:dunno:

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Honestly, why do commercial tubes/stocks even exist?

It doesn't seem like you'd save any money as a business, I don't hear of either being more durable/reliable, and it's just a pain in the ass for consumers.

Fucking AR people...... I swear.

13. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Sardaukar, do you ever have any problems getting your cheek on the stock? Some have said when it's extended, you might find yourself on the tube and the stock. Is that an issue I should be concerned with or have you not had any problems with that?

14. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Works fine for me. I'm short. :mamoru: My stock is only extended one stop.

15. johnson

johnson New Member

Because when the first companies cloned the AR-15, they used an extrusion process which I'm guessing was easier than following the TDP.

16. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I'm short too... :h5: