SRS Vivid dreams into recovery?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Droopynuts, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Droopynuts

Droopynuts New Member

I've been a recovering binge addict for 13 months now. I don't have normal thoughts about using drugs, nor really the inclination on a daily basis, then again - I never have. I'll usually cycle about every 4 months, and then go all out until I've destroyed everything positive in my life within 4 days. So based off of this observation, I've passed through about 3 cycles or severe urges - which coincidentally, the degree of each episode has subsided over time.

In any case, I have recently been experiencing very vivid dreams where I coerce myself into taking drugs, and then wake up sweating with severe anxiety. Sometimes this happens 3 or 4 times a night, but never more than once every two weeks. It occurs frequently enough though that it has become bothersome, and I wanted to see if you guys have experienced this, and if so, does it/how long does it take, to go away.

2. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

Seams normal to me, the obsession to use drugs is even effecting your sleep now. That, for me, is part of the mental struggle i faced in the first three steps

3. 88 Notch

88 Notch New Member

I still get the occasional drinking dream, almost 8 years sober now. It's nothing to worry about. Just reminds me to be grateful for my sobriety. The funny thing is, for the last few years, I'm aware as I'm dreaming that it's not real so I don't wake up in a panic or anything.

4. turbobuick420

turbobuick420 New Member

when i was doing drugs i would remember 3-4 dreams a night,every night. and sometimes would be lucid. i can say i havnt remembered 1 dream since ive been sober. maybe i will now that im thinking about it. i used to love having dreams cause i was in control and it was so much better than real life.

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Man that's awesome!! Hang in there!
    Yes I've had a lot of "drunk dreams" in the past. Early on in sobriety, I had these more frequently and it really used to mess me up. I thought I was somehow working the program wrong, or that it ment that I was doomed to return to a life of drinking and using and I was powerless to stop it.

This is where a sponsor can be critical. I talked to mine after each dream and would ask, am I doing something wrong in my recovery??? Am I avoiding something that'll make me want to go back out??? Am I mental??

I would also explain what had been going on in my life thoughtout most of the days preceeding these dreams. Sometimes we could find something that might have "triggered" the dream, like driving by a pool during summer and seeing everyone partying...something I used to love to do. Identifying these triggers wasn't to find the reason for the dream as much as just a way of looking at my recovery and how certain events in my life we affecting me.

There were other times when I couldn't find a trigger but I was really, really tired the night before. Very often, when I'm exhausted, I'll have these kinds of dreams....althoguh not so much anymore.

Then there were times when I couldn't find a trigger. Those times are similar to when I have a waking thought about drinking or using where I'm just going through my day and out of nowhere the thought to drink or use comes all over me. It really used to fuck me up and I had to realize that's just part of this disease. I've also learned ways to handle it.

I'm don't remember how long it took for these kinds of dreams to become less frequent but I do know my life began to improve as I worked the steps and went to meetings. After step 5, I felt a lot more peaceful and things in my life became much more tolerable.

So I dunno where you are with the steps but perhaps that'll help...oh and be sure to talk to your sponsor about these dreams. Sometimes just talking about stuff can be really healing...even if he/she doesn't have an answer for ya.

6. Droopynuts

Droopynuts New Member

I had completely forgotten I made this post! Thanks for the replies thus far, I'm happy to know this happens to others, and that it eventually goes away.

7. DXC

DXC New Member

i have had a couple of dreams in the early years of my sobriety ... i was watching my "old" self drink and get drunk . i stood behind myself and tried to tell the old me to not do it ... but the old me was not even aware i was there .
    i have heard some old timers say that they still have drunk dreams after 30 years ... i don't know the answers ... but i believe that the drunk dreams might serve as a "healthy fear" . at a minimum they sure are a memory jogger !
    "lest i forget ..."

8. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

I always have dreams that I am just kinda walking around, like a normal day, and then start drinking a beer or something, like I forgot that I was an alcoholic. It's weird because when I first got sober I always had this fear that if I stopped obsessing about not drinking, even for a sec, that I would drink. It's kinda fucked up. I have had a bunch of dreams about freebasing which is weird b/c I only did it once.