Vitamins and Protein?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by kamiraa, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

Sup yall. I just got back into the gym after my motorcycle accident and been working pretty hard the last month. Im seeing gain but I definatly cant keep up eating naturally to consume the ammount of protein I need. I wanted to go back to Whey protein and start taking natural vitamins. What is a good choice. I wanta head over to GNC sometime today. I wanta stay in the moderate price range. Whats a good Whey Protein, and whats a good multi vitamin? Thanks for helping out a noob.

2. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

is there any good websites I can order this from that would lower the cost too? Or is GNC a good option?

3. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Don't get it from GNC, is my advice. I usually order from www.dpsnutrition.net and (yes) www.bodybuilding.com/store.

But if you want to try out some flavors, getting some small sizes from GNC might not be a bad thing to do; then you're not stuck with 5 pounds of whey you hate.

4. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

ya good idea, il prob just go chocolate. I dont like strawberry, or vanilla. Any idea on the multvitamins?

5. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Generic cheap stuff is fine, just take it with a meal. If I splurge, I get something from NOW or Optimum; otherwise just centrum stuff from Walmart.

Get some fish oil, too.

6. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

what does fish oil do? Sorry im a noob to this and just trying to learn what I put into my body.

7. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Fish oil leads to greatness! :) Basically, it's a source of EFAs (essential fatty acids) which are good for everything your body does. Also helps some with nutrient partitioning (i.e., protein going to muscles).

8. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

is it true that if you freeze the fish pill/cap/whatever, you wont burp?

i have mine in the fridge and no difference has been made...

9. Elfling

Elfling New Member

No clue. I find I get the burps if I take them on an empty stomach; with a meal I dont' get them.

10. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

ok I went to that website and there has to be like 30-40 different brands of protein. So what do yall recommend for a brand of protein and fish oil?

11. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

You can get the multi from GNC, they are priced usually the same as online. I think they have a 90ct Mega Men for $16. But as Elfling said, go online for anything else.

12. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Just buy a 10lb bag of Optimum Whey. Fish oil brand isn't a huge deal, i like Now Foods

13. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

should I consume my protein before and after every workout on my days in the gym only? Or should I be taking the protein 7 days a week?

14. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

would mega men be better then a generic like centrium. Thanks for the ideas with brands btw, I appreciate it. I definatly wanta do this right and could use the help of the brolys on here.

15. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Whey is great because it digests quickly. Taking it immediately post workout is very beneficial, vs waiting an hour to eat a bunch of chicken or beef..

GNC is good for whey if you're trying a new flavor since they have a guarantee.. otherwise dpsnutrition, 1fast400.com, islandsupplements.com.

I get my multi's and fish oil from walmart.

16. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

but should I be consuming two shakes after my workout to get my protein intake? OR should I take one after the workout and one early in the day?

Also should I only be taking my protein the days of my workout, or every day of the week?

17. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

man you're making this shit out to be complicated

18. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Don't sweat the small stuff. You need protein every day. Drink a shake or eat a meal after your workout, don't overcomplicate it. I usually come home and eat dinner since I work out later in the day.

19. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

I've heard this but never tried it. I stopped burping the shit up though, I used to all the time but now it never happens anymore and that's fine by me. I just take it before I eat food.

20. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

ya im ussualy do that. I just dont wanta do anything stupid.

How many grams of protein should I intake a day? Im working out 4 days a week, 2 days cardio. I weigh 223 lbs and im 6 foot.

21. Piracy

Piracy New Member

enteric coated fish oil pills will help prevent the burps. refrigerating non coated pills has done nothing for me. i get the spring valley fish oil caps from wal mart, cheap and high quality according to f&n.

GNC mega man multi is a good mult from what i hear, really the only thing i would ever buy from there, but currently i'm taking the NOW Adam multi.

protein, ON is cheap and tastes okay in milk. I usually take my whey in water, and thus I like Syntax Nectar for flavor and mixing in water but it's pricey, around 30 for 2.5 lbs or so from vitamin shoppe. havent really priced it online, i had a gift card so i bought this from VS.

I think it's 1.5g of protein for each lb of body weight. Some go less, some go more. I stick with 1.5.

22. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

so I need around 330 grams of protein a day? Holy shit how the hell . . . . IM going to need to drink like 5 protein shakes a day atleast? I checked how much protein im eating now approx, a average day for me is around 70 grams.

23. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Have you ever heard of meat?

24. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

I ussualy wake up and have some cereal and milk.

For lunch I have ussualy a chicken breast and some rice or some type of meat.

For dinner I ussualy have something small and some beef ussualy. But no way i can accomplish 300+ grams from that.

25. Elfling

Elfling New Member

I get 165+ grams from one scoop of whey at breakfast and meat the rest of the day. It's not that hard :dunno: You may be setting your protein goals too high, btw. How much do you weigh? In general, 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is a decent goal to shoot for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.