Vitamin B1

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by METALLlC BLUE, Jul 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vitamins are crucial and essential to life. Vitamins assist in good health by regulating the metabolism and assisting the biochemical processes that release energy from digested food.

Some water-soluble vitamins include vitamin C and the B-complex vitamins. Oil-soluble vitamins include vitamins A, D, E, and K. Today I'll be writing about Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)

Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)
    RDA: 1.5 mg
    Researched Supplement Range: 50 mg to 200 mg
    Notes: excess amount does no good or harm, but is simply excreted from the body.

Important Notes: A water-soluble vitamin that enters and leaves the body each day so for optimum health you should consume it each day. Thiamin helps burn carbohydrates for energy, so having optimal body uptake is important in a weight management program.

Vitamin B1 goes by the names Thiamin, thiamine, and Aneurine. B1 is a water-soluble B-complex vitamin. B1 was discovered in the early 1930's. Thiamin was one of the first organic compounds to be recognized as a vitamin.

Deficiency Symptoms

• Beriberi,
      constipation,
      edema,
      enlarged liver,
      fatigue,
      forgetfulness,
      gastrointestinal disturbances,
      heart changes,
      irritability,
      labored breathing,
      loss of appetite,
      muscle atrophy,
      nervousness,
      numbness of the hands and feet,
      pain and sensitivity,
      poor coordination,
      tingling sensations,
      weak and sore muscles,
      general weakness,
      severe weight loss.

Therapeutic Uses:

• alzheimer's
      diarrhea
      constipation
      diabetes
      indigestion
      heart disease
      congestive heart failure
      stress
      mental illness
      nausea

Benefits:
    Vitamin B1 - Enhances circulation and assists in blood formation, carbohydrate metabolism, and the production of hydrochloric acid, which is important for proper digestion, optimizes cognitive activity and brain function, positive effect on energy, growth, normal appetite, and learning capacity, and is needed for muscle tone of the intestines, stomach, and heart, protecting the body from the degenerative effects of aging, alcohol consumption, and smoking.

Sources of Vitamin B1 (Thamine)

• Milk
      Brown rice,
      egg yolks,
      fish,
      legumes,
      liver,
      peanuts,
      peas,
      pork,
      poultry,
      rice bran,
      wheat germ,
      whole grains,
      asparagus,
      brewer’s yeast,
      broccoli,
      Brussels sprouts,
      dulse,
      kelp,
      most nuts,
      oatmeal,
      plums,
      dried prunes,
      raisins,
      spirulina,
      watercress
      alfalfa,
      bladderwrack,
      burdock root,
      catnip,
      cayenne,
      chamomile,
      chickweed,
      eyebright,
      fennel seed,
      fenugreek,
      hops,
      nettle,
      oat straw,
      parsley,
      peppermint,
      raspberry leaf,
      red clover,
      rose hips,
      sage,
      yarrow,
      yellow dock.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2002
  2. Fatghost28

Fatghost28 Guest

MB, are you gonna make a post about every vitamin?

:eek:

:bowdown: x eleventy billion

3. Diablo3305

Diablo3305 Guest

i hope not...we will have way to many stickeys....hehe

:bigthumb:

actually..if there gets to be alot, we could just consilidate them into one big post....the massive vitamin post by MB...:bowdown:

4. Yes I'm going to attempt to do one on every vitamin. This way I educate myself, but I also pass on the details to you. I will not be doing them as often as you think though. I'd like the vitamin posts I write to be kept up for a number of days so that people can absorb the information from each post before moving on to the next vitamin. Science has proven that people absorb similar material better when the material is "spaced apart". If someone reads about Vitamin A & Vitamin B1 together at the same time, or around the same time in a day or two, then less information is retained by the person reading it in the long run - the just forget it. However if the material is spaced out - such as every few days or even a week apart people will remember what they read the week before and then also remember the new material and it will be remembered much longer!

Interesting how that works - the long term memory is stimulated better by spacing out the documents by a few days. However at the same time people will forget the original material if they aren't stimulated within a few weeks. The length of the actual document however has little to do with how much is retained in each reading - as long as the material is coherent.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.