visual basic on apple?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by canIscream, Jan 13, 2007.

1. canIscream

canIscream Dog Crew is Best Crew

can i run visual basic on an apple computer with OS 10.4.8? i realize visual basic is a windows development program, but i have to take a class on it next semester and i'd like to avoid having to find a windows computer to do my homework.

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

no sorry.

if its an intel machine look at using bootcamp. if its a ppc maching try virtual pc.

there is real basic for mac, which is similar, but not the same.

3. canIscream

meh...i'm not going to install virtual PC on this thing. i hammer on the little bit of resources i have enough as it is without that system hog killing me. if i can find a free copy, i might give it a shot, but i'm sure as hell not paying msrp for it.

and it's not intel so no bootcamp for me, though i should really man up and buy a MBP, i just want a motorcycle more.

can you run VB in Linux? because i could partition off the HDD and install that.

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Ah, its you..

And no, it wont go under linux either. Its one of thoes microsoft things, its will stay windows only. Its all about windows APIs, DLLs, Controls and etc, you dont get that with any other OS. (thank god!)

I do wish that they would make a decent MSN messenger though, instead of trying to hold that as leverage to keep young people running windows. :squint:

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

If you wanted to learn programming in general and are into macs/linux, I would suggest learning java or c. However if you are doing a course you may not have much choice (it is however a good starting point for data applications etc if you look past the windows only bit).

Also if you need any help with the programming the Computers & Programming forum is pretty good, also feel free to ask me any questions via pm (I wasted 2 years of my life writing data applications in vb)

6. Euclid

Euclid New Member

You can log in to a remote windows machine with VNC or RDC (terminal services). At LAN speeds, RDC is very nice and VNC is, well, bearable.

7. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Yes, RDP is a good idea. You will still need a windows box.

8. canIscream

what do you mean it's me?

thanks for all the advice guys. i don't really know who i'm trying to kid thinking i'm going to get through this whole major of mine without some form of windows. i should just buy a shitty desktop or get a MBP. sigh.