Vista64??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Slippy, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Slippy

Slippy OT Supporter

Hey guys, just wondering about vista64. I want the 4 gigs of ram and what not but I'm hearing that vista64 isn't very compatible with many programs and drivers are hard to obtain at the moment.

Do you guys think I should just take my chances or get vista32 for the time being?

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

This is a question that so many people ask. Why do you want 4Gb of memory or more? Are you actually using that much memory? Memory only helps you up until a point and that point is however much memory you are using. If you are using 2Gb, putting 2Tb of memory won't help your performance at all. So, before you bother looking at any 64-bit Windows, really look at what you are using. Using a 64-bit OS doesn't make it any faster and doesn't make your e-peen any larger.

Anyway, all that aside, it sounds like people are seeing some ok stuff with Vista64, but before you bother with it, look to see that all of your hardware has 64-bit drivers. If they don't, then you could have a pain in the neck on your hands.

3. Slippy

Slippy OT Supporter

this is going to be a gaming rig... is 4GB overkill? I mean, whats the most do you think I would need?

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

no game is going to require 4Gb of memory. games are made for 32-bit operating systems.

most home PCs are going to be running with 1 or 2Gb these days. maybe going more than that for video editing.

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I've been using Vista 64bit for a while, no problems with drivers or gaming. When you buy a new PC, you can buy the OEM, which is cheaper than the retail version, but when you buy OEM, you have to pick between the 32bit and 64bit, if you buy the retail one (for a bit more money), you get both the 32bit and 64bit. You can only use one at a time, but you still have the option to switch back to the 32bit if you have problems with the 64bit.
    I haven't yet found a program that won't run in 64bit, and unless you're trying to load it on an old ass PC, you shouldn't have any problems with drivers.

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

+1 64-bit