Vista yet?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Repentinus, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

I'm saving up about 500 bucks to begin the build of a mid-range system. Along with the MB, Newegg will sell me the OEM version of Vista Home Premium for about 150 bucks. Is it worth it yet to buy vista or should I still wait awhile?

2. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

im waiting for SP1

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

It depends. Your system will be noticeably slower on Vista. It also takes a while to figure out how to make it stop acting like a bloated piece of spam every time you want to do something.

But once it's set up it isn't TOO bad as long as all your software is Vista friendly. XP is more stable and seems to just work better. Vista still feels like beta.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  4. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

:nono:
    My machine has seen a noticeable increase in speed since the upgrade from XP Pro to Vista Business. The boot times are much faster, and programs seem to load quicker.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You had a shitty xp install then.... I'm testing vista for a controlled company-wide rollout... And I've got a bunch of prescott 650s that run xp noticably faster (and before anyone points a finger, they're all 1GB DDR2 and have discrete cards)

6. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

Not in my laptop. The boot time and hibernation times are longer, and I just log in and leave my computer for a few minutes because its busy loading all of the programs. I think firefox is running better either because of vista, or that there's less RAM for it to leak onto.

(and no, I can't go back to XP, because I gotta learn my way around Vista to support clients)

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Vista is not bad... I do agree that the boot time compared to XP is much longer at least in my case. That's on my XPS M1210 w/ 2 gigs of RAM. Resuming from hibernation was actually really fast for me. I'd always use hibernate and then reboot once a week or so. Programs loaded pretty fast too.

8. JaJae

JaJae New Member

That's cause you suck at Windows. Give it a few months and you'll probably bloat up your Vista box with more spyware and junk to slow it down.

9. Sexual Vanilla

:rofl:

Sure thing.

10. Sexual Vanilla

You have a shitty Vista install then.

It works both ways genius.

11. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Same here. I've got a quad core with 4gb of ram, but still love how fast and stable xp is.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No it doesn't. Vista has a bunch more background crap that eats up CPU time.

13. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

If you're creating a custom company rollout, you should be removing things like that that won't be used. You can make 'lite' vista installs too.

14. deusexaethera

Call me crazy, but I shouldn't have to edit the installer configuration to pull out bits that I don't need. How about if the installer puts just the basics on the hard drive, along with a folder containing the install files, and the first time I try to use any feature, Windows just asks me if I want it to install now / install later / never install?

15. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

People do it for XP too :dunno:

16. deusexaethera

I know. It bugs the shit out of me with XP too.

Office lets me install features on demand, why the hell doesn't Windows?

17. JaJae

JaJae New Member

No it doesn't, it's a well known fact that Vista is slower than XP.

18. Sexual Vanilla

:mb:

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

20. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

This is always such a huge argument. Look at it from a different perspective. John and Mary Q Consummer are going to buy their computers from Best Buy etc. They have no choice what O/S is pre-installed on them. That being said, Vista will someday in the near future be the most widely used O/S out there. This in turn drives software and hardware people to make stuff Vista compliant. The is no better shown with the iPod Vs Zune example. Stores have isles of ipod stuff, and maybe 4 zune accesories.

So what do you do? Well you have a choice. Buy XP and then in a year or so, pay for the Vista upgrade when you decide its time, or buy it now and deal with the issues while they are there. I have it running on 3 computers, and the only real problem I have had was with the User Account Controls. Once I found out how to completely disable it, I have been happy.

Vista does have some useful enhancements that I wish XP had. Will Vista ever be 100% perfect? No. But nothing in life is ever perfect for everyone. Its that whole "you can please most people most of the time, but you can never please all the people, all the time."

My opinion would be to just go for it and get Vista, you will eventually warm up to it, and once SP1 comes out, you will be glad you aren't spending $150 for the upgrade. Also, if they are willing to sell you the OEM of Home Premium, spend $49 more and get Ultimate OEM.

21. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I just got an order from Newegg today, and there was a flier with it for Vista Home Premium oem for $112.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

media center. bitlocker.

23. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

Maybe 'better' wasn't the right word? Let's say it has more stuff. Totally up to the guy buying it if he wants the extras or not. I like bitlocker, games, dream scene, and im going to set up media center this weekend.

Also, what is the rule on OEM software? Do you have to by certain components along with it to get OEM prices? I was at Fry's and asked, and he said they have a contract with MS that allows them to sell OEM by itself.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

microsoft clearly states oem copies are to be sold with hardware, only. many retailers do not follow these rules, but they are in place.

there has previously been confusion on what constitutes "hardware". Some stores claim it's just something stupid like a floppy cable... Others claim it's a motherboard. According to microsoft, the oem license is linked to a systems motherboard (OEM copies may not be legall transfered to another machine, and they define the "machine" as the motherboard (allowing hard drive, video card, cpu, memory upgrades to not violate the terms). So I think in the most strict sense the requirement is a motherboard. Again, this is under much debate and few follow.

25. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

It's funny to me that now that Vista is out we are all singing the praises of XP...when a year ago (before Vista) XP still sucked.

One thing you never heard is how stable XP is...or any Windoze OS for that matter :dunno: