vista x64?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cleankutazn, Dec 18, 2007.

1. cleankutazn

cleankutazn New Member

Would there be a noticeable performance increase if i upgraded to x64 from vista 32? My specs are amd 64x2 2.6 ghz, 3gb 667mhz ram, Evga 8800gt

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you want a noticable performance increase, go get an Intel Core2Duo.

4. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

the only difference you'll see in 64 bit is the ability to have more RAM.

5. cleankutazn

cleankutazn New Member

Are amd's that bad?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not rly. There was a demo done probably a year ago with a recockulously huge photo of the library of congress... They ran the same photo-enhancements in a 32-bit process, then a 64-bit optimized process, and the 64-bit fucking demolished the 32-bit counter-part. But that would only be true for apps written to take advantage of 64-bit.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well, we agree that Intel is the long-standing leader... Then AMD came out with the Athlon XP and there was fair competition with the Pentium III. Then Intel went with Netburst (P4) and AMD continued their own course. For a while AMD thought "hahahahahahaha we win" but Intel kept doing their thing, not really attacking anything while AMD made a cock of themselves. Then Intel said they were working on a "back-to-basics" processor that would continue where the P3 (and Pentium M) left off. AMD of course claimed victory, claiming that Intel now was following AMD. Then Intel said, one sunny day, "oh, btw, here is CORE DUO". About that time, AMD and all amd sack-riders shit a big fucking brick. Because it did follow what INTEL started with P3 and PM, but it was so impressive, that AMD didn't have anything to hold a candle to it. I mean, CRAZY processing power in a chip that is power/thermal-efficent enough for mobile use??? Then Intel said, "sorry chaps, jolly good fun it's been, but we'll also release CORE 2 DUO in a few months". About then AMD and all the dipshits that made lots of fun of Intel started crying uncontrollably.

To this day Intel has continued to release AMAZING improvement after improvment, but AMD has nothing to counter with. Nothing even remotely in development that they've been able to substantiate.

8. cleankutazn

cleankutazn New Member

ahhh i see...becuase i haven't followed up with cpu's until now. I had the first athlon...that was 7 years ago and its been so good I haven't upgraded until now. So I thought amd was still kickin some ass...I thought wrong :(

9. Mint

Mint Active Member

You're AMD is fine P07 is acting like a stupid intel fanboy douche bag.

Intel does have the faster processors right now, but that doesnt make your CPU crap.

AMD was the first to release consumer true-marketed 64bit processors, and 64bit OS nearly cuts any type of rendering or encoding you might do in HALF over 32bit.

Gaming, not so much.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

FACT remains:

11. Mint

Mint Active Member

He never asked for opinion on his CPU. He asked if Vista x64 > Vista x86

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

That is a fucking statement on Vista x64 > Vista x86....

He's asking if there is a noticable performance gain. My response is "NO". I also include what WOULD provide a noticable performance gain.

13. cleankutazn

cleankutazn New Member

So do I have to be using 64bit apps for the performance increase ?

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

in most circumstances, you will not notice a performance gain when running a 64-bit OS. as pyehec said, the main difference in 64-bit computing is the ability to access a larger memory space. it isn't the only benefit, but that is the bulk of it. right now you won't notice much difference because the average desktop user isn't running anything that would go over the 4Gb memory limit of a 32-bit OS.

look at this article where they do performance comparisons between xp and xp64.
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1857476,00.asp

EDIT: rewording because the offtopic forum made me a bit of a prick. lol.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008