Vista + WPN824.. keeps going to "Local only"

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Insert Tokens, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

I have a Toshiba Satellite with Vista Home Premium, going to a Netgear WPN824 router. Hardwired to the router is an Xbox360, that has absolutely no issues and net always works.

The laptop however keeps randomly (from 1 to a few times a day) getting dumped off the net and goes to "Local only".. the wireless status jumps around with the "Identifying..." and then settles on "Unidentified network"..

I reboot the router, reboot the modem, reboot the computer, or any combination of them, continuously, eventually (sometimes 5 minutes later, sometimes a few hours later) it'll work again, and connect/identify perfectly.

Any ideas?

I tried googling it and it comes up with various reports of Vista having issues with WPA encryption etc, so I set my router to WEP + mac filtering, worked for a day, now same problem.

There is another network here too, not sure if it's causing interference? if so, why does it work sometimes for up to a full day/night with no issues..

HALP! :sadwavey:

cliffs: Vista + WPN824 intermittent net issues. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. When hardwired, works perfectly. So it's ONLY to do with wireless access to net itself.

2. OrionDartanyu

OrionDartanyu I don't think I'm as revolutionary as Galileo, but

How old is the router? Try changing the channel it's broadcasting on incase of any interference.

3. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

It's only a few months old, and has latest firmware etc.

I'll try changing ch.