Vista won't read my new RAM

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Schroff, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Schroff

Schroff New Member

I have a HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop. I bought some 2GB RAM from G.Skill, PC2-5300. The reviews on newegg said that people with my same laptop had it work perfectly, so I know it's compatible. But it only reads 1GB, the size of my old RAM. Can anyone help?

2. Nikkorizz

Nikkorizz New Member

I had a similar problem with my HP Pavillion dv6000 when I tried to upgrade my laptop to 2gb of RAM from 1gb of RAM. One memory slot wouldn't work at all but the other worked perfectly fine. It turns out that the unreadable memory slot was broken and I had to send in my laptop to HP. Twice. Because the first time they were deuce bags and returned my laptop with a 2 gb stick in the only working slot and my broken slot was never fixed. So I called them up and bitched and I had to send out my computer again. The second time they actually fixed the problem.

Now it works fine.

Edit: I forgot to mention that when the problem initially occurred my computer read my old set of 512kb sticks just fine, it just wouldn't read the gig sticks. I run Windows XP btw.

3. Schroff

Schroff New Member

I had 2x512MB before, so both slots work.

Oh, it's douche bag by the way.

4. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Does your bios recognize the upgraded RAM? Check that first. That way you know if its a hardware problem vs a Vista problem.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sounds like the old single/double sided problem.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

That's why I upgrade laptops from Crucial's memory selector. I hate guessing and finding out it doesn't work.