Vista users, give your input please

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Cannondale, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

How is Vista? I have a computer at home that I think will run it at a usable level, but I'm not sure if I should keep using XP pro, or upgrade with the intent of being future compatible.

My home computer is:
    P4 HT 3.06
    2GB DDR2 533
    256mb Radeon x330
    250GB SATA HD

I know it meets the requirements, but it seems like systems have gotten way faster since I built this computer. I'm just really wondering if it would be horrifically slow. I would probably be getting a basic version, even though the Ultimate is what I really want, but that almost $400 price tag isn't something I would be able to pony up with school starting. I guess a sub question would be, is it worth picking up a 64bit version if my board only supports 2GB of ram? Are there any other benefits to an average user than utilization of more memory?

2. xenex

xenex New Member

Be ready for problems and confusion if you are going to install Vista. I'm sticking with XP for a while.

3. nLinked

nLinked New Member

2 GB is a good amount for Vista. 1 GB may see an increase in HDD activity.

When you first install Vista, this is where everyone starts complaining. What you need to know is that as soon as its installed and you logon, it begins to index the drive. This takes a while! And as you install your programs and transfer your documents, they begin to index as well.

While that's happening, the Superfetch database is building, memorising what programs you are using and when. I have seen that this initial after-install process can take a week or two and then your system will feel responsive.

What you can do, especially on a mobile device, is go to advanced power options and turn indexing onto Power Saver mode. The hard drive will index less, and give you enough performance to get your stuff installed. Then you can put it back up to High Performance.

I don't recommend turning off indexing! The Start Search feature is extremely helpful and one of the primary features stopping me going back to XP.

Other features I like are the checkboxes and grouping features in Explorer. I personally would never go back to XP. The performance is excellent with 2+ GB of RAM. One of my mobile device has only an 800 Mhz processor and 1 GB of RAM, yet it runs Vista Home Premium with full Aero UI and its not slow at all! I can even run Office 2007 and other applications at the same time! Anyone seeing it performing so well at its specs would be baffled!

You just have to allow indexing and the Superfetch database (if its a database) some time to build themselves.

4. thebox

thebox New Member

i have had 0 problems with vista. i had to get a newer version of Nero and anti-virus, but that was it. everything else works fine. the latest performance updates that microsoft released (not in automatic updates yet AFAIK) fixed pretty much all of the rest of the major problems that some games had, and a few smaller problems.

personally i would not switch back to XP for my main OS. i do dual boot XP, but only because my m-audio soundcard has no drivers for vista yet.

5. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

This sounds promising. I will probably be looking into buying Vista in another few months then.

6. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I like Vista a lot, at first it seems a bit overwhelming but after a little bit of getting used to its not bad at all. I have only run into a few things that don't work properly but they were packages used for programming that aren't very wide known. Other than that I don't have any complaints.

7. ge0

ge0 New Member

I have bee running vista home premium with no problems.

8. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

I like Vista, but Vista doesn't like my Creative X-Fi sound card. I'd get rid of vista and go back to XP if I weren't planning on getting a DX10 card very soon. Woe is me :wtc:

9. nLinked

nLinked New Member

What seems to happen with the X-Fi? Just curious...

10. nLinked

nLinked New Member

It won't! I have a mobile device with an 800 MHz CPU and 1 GB of RAM. It has Vista Home Premium with the Aero UI turned on with transparency and all the effects as well. I also run Office 2007 on it and multitask and it is FAST!

If you see it in action you'll wander why people move back to XP when Vista runs so fast on this hardware! People just need to give it time to index and build itself for 2 weeks. Then learn the new features and you're off!

It certainly won't play games but I can have all the effects and open loads of apps without slow-down.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  11. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

When running the sound card with Creative ASIO the driver crashes and has a mini kernel-panic that can only be fixed my restarting the computer. When using Kernel Streaming, I get bits of static every once in a while for a split second for no reason at all. So basically I can't get a bit-matched stream within Vista with the X-Fi.

The static happens even without using a bit-matched stream. It's really driving me crazy.

12. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Same here. Vista runs great except for this. Any audio playback with have static/stutter for around 2-3 seconds, then it clears up. Happens every few minutes of audio playback. Fucking annoying as hell...but it's not Vista's fault. Shitty audio drivers from Dell are to blame.

13. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/?p=272

Speculations

The bottom line is that Vista audio should be great, but in practice it is problematic for many users. Why? Here are a few possibilities.
    1. Vista audio is great, but third-party vendors are a lazy bunch and haven’t bothered to do decent drivers. This is the view of many on the Creative forums, but I don’t buy this entirely. The failure to provide good drivers in a timely manner seems to go right across the industry. I am sure some vendors could have done better but I’m inclined to think there are other factors, such as perhaps…
    2. Vista audio is so complex and different that third-parties had no chance of writing good drivers in time. This seems at least plausible. I still find it curious. I don’t doubt that the leading vendors of audio add-ons worked closely with Microsoft in the run up to Vista. Why then is support for the new operating system so limited and late?
    3. Microsoft slipped up; audio in Vista does not work properly. It will certainly be interesting to see what effect Vista’s service pack 1 has, when it arrives later this year.

14. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

the best explanation:

[​IMG]

But seriosuly, I just dual booted XP and Vista on my previously all vista laptop (it first came with XP, which I recently installed Vista on) and I got everything up and running in Vista than in XP (I'm still struggling with installing the wireless in XP)