Vista user error v. it's losing all my pics.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tripod, Aug 27, 2008.

1. tripod

tripod New Member

So, in Vista, I store my pictures in various folders, usually on the desktop, as I take them off of my camera. Once a month or so, I sort them and move them to the "my pictures" folder.

Anyway, I've had several folders of pics that I've opened and used (e.g. uploading to facebook) successfully before, then when I go back to look at them, they will not open in any program on this or any other computer. They still show up with the proper filename and size; they just won't open. Some of them even show a thumbnail in their respective folder.

For example, double-clicking one of the problem images opens Windows Photo Gallery with the message "Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video. The file format is not supported, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Gallery."

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Just curious... Is there another program you can use to view the image?

Are the files still .jpg's?

3. tripod

tripod New Member

files are still .jpg's. Cannot open them in any program, even if I email them to myself and try on another computer.

4. telc

telc OT Supporter

I remember a virus few years ago that targeted only images files on a PC :dunno:

5. tripod

tripod New Member

:wtc: but I like my image files.

So far, the only damage I've found is:
    a) in folders stored on my desktop, but not image files stored on the desktop itself
    b) only in images that originally came from my camera (e.g. everything in the folder titled "smut" on my desktop is ok, thank goodness).