Vista tips and tweaks

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fachh, May 3, 2008.

1. Fachh

Fachh New Member

Making this thread for people to post useful tweaks/tips for Windows Vista

I have turned off UAC and the visual enhancements of the windows theme so far

anything else?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Why turn off the visual enhancements? I thought that was one of the selling points for Vista.

:confused:

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

definitely disable UAC. I also disable security center and windows defender, along with system restore. I leave all the eye-candy on because I like it.

AVG was stupid on vista so i use avast and it works well, for me.

4. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

AVG works fine for me.

why disable system restore? That has saved my ass once before. :o

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

for me, it saved a system once, and it's failed to help countless other times. All it does is sit there and waste resources.

6. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Just the other day IE was lagging for some reason. Window would freeze when I would open a new one for ~5 seconds. I did a system restore from a few days earlier and it's back to normal.

Also AVG user here as well. Works fine on Ultimate 64.

7. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

Why all the UAC hate? Its a solid security measure, and its there to protect you. Why turn it off?

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

because it is a shitty implementation that is so invasive that you either turn it off or you go back to XP because it pissed you off.

if i'm building a PC for myself, i'd go with XP. if i'm building a PC for my non-computer savvy family i'd go with vista and leave UAC on.

9. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

UAC is soooooo annoying.

10. negative zero

negative zero New Member

It takes literally a 10th of a second to click OK. It's fine if people want to turn it off but it really is not that annoying.

11. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

I use it at work and on one machine at home, and I leave UAC on. Yes, I do administrative stuff all the time. Yes, I've tripped over it a few times, but I don't think its a shitty implementation of least privilege, so I leave it on, and usually encourage others to do the same.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's annoying for me, I hate telling the machine to do something then have to answer "are you sure". Yes I'm fucking sure, I told you to do it the first time!

That's the power-user scenario.

Now for the dumb-user scenario... The one that this mechanism is supposed to protect:

They keep getting this message so 1 of 2 things happens:

1) They spend a good minute reading it each time and thinking about it. Severely impacting productivity. In fact, they'll probably not understand why they got the message, so they'll either click no and never get anything done, or they'll call someone they trust further wasting time. Eventually this person will either disable UAC, or encourage the user to go with option #2 below:
    2) The user doesn't read the message, and simply clicks yes. Many many many times I have seen dumb users randomly click dialog boxes without even letting me read it. And I gotta tell you, if I want to read the dialog box then a normal user MUST read it. This of course still wastes time and decreases productivity, but it provides ZERO security because the user is simply clicking 'yes', anyway. Furthermore, it's actually counter-productive. In addition to wasting time, it provides a false-sense of security because users are being told they're protected without any protection actually taking place.

UAC == absolute crap!

13. wagner

wagner Disallowed words OT Supporter

format c:

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

actually, this is not fully correct. if you are setting up someone with basic user privs, then they aren't just clicking ok. they have to enter a password and click ok. now, when i setup my parents' computer, i didn't give them the administrative password. i know what they are going to use their computer for, and if they need to do something different then they'll need to ask me. i'd rather them wait a couple of days to install a program than have to wait weeks for me to rebuild it after one of my asshat cousins went over their house and installed some shitty software.

as far as my issues with UAC for me personally, i'm a UNIX admin. after doing my administrative tasks as root in UNIX for 10+ years, you get used to no hand holding and no "are you really sure you want to run 'chown root:sys -R .*'?" you make a few mistakes and after a while make sure you double and triple check what you are going to do before you continue. and then you be prepared to fix what you broke if you did something stupid.