Vista/Networking Issue..HELP!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by xuntilthexendx, Feb 25, 2010.

1. xuntilthexendx

xuntilthexendx New Member

Alright So I'm having an issue connecting a HP Slimline Desktop to the internet wirelessly.

-Runs fine connected hardline to the router and direct dsl connection from the modem to the PC.
    -Computer can see and connect to the wireless network but cannot access the internet.
    -Wireless Card in the PC is b/g, router is N+ Tried a different wireless dongle (G) and Router (G) and still no luck, Same problem came up: Can see the wireless network but cannot connect to the internet.

Tried This Adding a “DWORD (32-bit) Value” entry line “ArpRetryCount” with the values set all to zero (the default value on the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters Rebooted and nothing..

Tried the MS Website because I found this is a pretty common issue and they released a hotfix for it but I couldn't find it.

I'm still leaning networking and would really like to figure this issue out.

Any Ideas?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

When you're on wireless, are you getting an IP, gateway, DNS, etc?
    Do you have MAC address filtering turned on on the router?

3. 7960

7960 New Member

fixed

turn it off, even if you are "sure you know the key" ..... turn it ALL off, get it to connect, one-by-one turn security back on.

4. xuntilthexendx

xuntilthexendx New Member

I will have to check next time I am over there..but I am pretty sure I was getting an ip, and no no security on the router..at all..took it off completely on both of them.

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

arpretrycount is a way for the computer to figure out if it has a duplicate address on the network.
    This is important.
    You should set it back to 3.

This is not your issue. But if you forget to set it back it can cause collisions later on.

6. kimsland

kimsland New Member

No need to "set it back", just delete that key you made, and Windows will automatically use the default 3

Or download this tool: (note: it says Vista) Which can be used to do it for you;)
    reviewingit.com/index.php/content/view/61/1/
    Note: the most updated download is here: reviewingit.com/images/stories/DHCPFixTool1.2.zip