Vista Media Center is kicking my ass.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tripod, Jan 15, 2009.

1. tripod

tripod New Member

When I try to watch live or prerecorded TV in Media Center, the video image hangs up, and alternately shows whatever frame it should be showing at the time, then a frame from several seconds earlier, then the appropriate frame, then another frame from much earlier, and on and on...

Already changed the video decoder, had to do that because POS windows default one wouldn't even play DTV.

This all started yesterday, after I made three changes to the system, that I've already tried to troubleshoot:
    1) Added a Samsung 17" monitor to supplement my Acer 22".
    2) Updated to the latest ATI video driver and latest version of their "catalyst control center"
    3) Added a program called DisplayFusion so I could have different wallpapers on both monitors.

I've tried disabling the second monitor, rolling back the video driver, shutting off DisplayFusion, changing the Media Center video decoder... anything else you guys can think of?

Hardware specs:
    Acer Aspire M5630
    Intel C2D E4500 2.20 GHz
    3 GB Ram
    Vista Home Premium 32 bit
    Cheap TV card came with computer
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO w/ 128 MB onboard, 1 each DVI & VGA output

2. tripod

tripod New Member

Breaking news: now shit seems to be flashing all the time, especially flash stuff, like the music players in myspace - just flashing all the time.

HALP! My computer is full of fail and aids. :wtc:

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

latest tv tuner card drivers?
    using any codec packs?

4. tripod

tripod New Member

latest tv tuner card drivers? I haven't messed with this yet, but the playback issues are happening on pre-recorded stuff that I was able to watch just a couple days ago, so wouldn't that eliminate the TV tuner?

using any codec packs? Quite frankly, I don't even know wtf this means, therefore, I'm going to say no.

5. tripod

tripod New Member

Okay, disconnected the new (2nd) monitor. Rolled back my display driver. Uninstalled DisplayFusion.

And I still have choppy DVR playback, whereas it was fine two days ago.

Also tried DVD, same story in Windows Media Center - choppy. It plays fine in Acer PlayMovie, though.

But the DVD experiment got even more interesting in Windows Media Player - I tried to play it, and this message came up:
    My screen resolution and color quality settings are the same as they always have been, and WMC used to be able to play DVD's...

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

have you tried system restore?

7. tripod

tripod New Member

:doh: good call.

8. tripod

tripod New Member

fucking :bowdown: that did it. I can't believe I was so oblivious... I've literally spent probably 5-6 hours troubleshooting this, and that never crossed my mind! Fuck, I am dumb sometimes.

At least my troubleshooting was sound, though, right? You know, eliminate one variable at a time, scientific method and all that... That's how I'm going to move back forward now - one step at a time, then check for full functionality. Saves a lot of hassle in teh long run.

Thanks!