Vista Laptop problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mixwell, Feb 11, 2008.

1. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

This is a link I was referred by another OT here

Read it and even did what it said to do. Problem is it sounds a bit confusing. I'm not sure whether to use the "hibernate" function or "sleep" function.

In my control panel >> power options menu, I have selected 5 mins for my "turn off the display" pull down and never for "put the computer to sleep". Not sure if that was the right thing to do.

Under the system settings, When I press the power button, when I press the sleep button(no idea where mine is), when I close the lid pull down is all set to sleep.

Okay so this is what I want my laptop to do. I basically want it to never shut down unless I do it manually. I have a game running on my laptop, and I basically want my "character" to stay in game the entire time, without worrying about the game shutting down because my laptop shutdown. I'm just having trouble trying to configure the settings on my laptop to work like my desktop, where it never hibernates or goes on standby.

I would really appreciate any type of help I can get!

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

so, just to make sure i'm reading this correctly. you are ok with it going to sleep when you press the power or sleep button and when you close the lid. when you put the computer to sleep, most likely you'll be dropped from the game (if it is an online game). but, you aren't going to do any of those and you're just planning on leaving the laptop open and plugged in all the time, correct?

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'd use hibernate, not sleep.

Either way, you'll most likely be kicked offline if you hibernate.

4. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

Yes that is correct. It would be nice to close the lid, but I didn't see any other option or way to make it so I could. And yes it is an online game, so I do not want to be kicked off. Honestly, I'm not even sure what the hibernate and sleep function does exactly, since it seems as though both will shutdown my laptop.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Hibernate saves your session data to the hard drive then shuts down and resumes (not a full boot) when the machine is turned back on.

Sleep will power down almost everything and save your session to RAM, but the machine still stays powered.

Like I said above, either one will most likely kick you offline.

I use hibernate all the time on my laptop. I reboot it once maybe every 2 weeks.

6. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

awww, is there a way I can make it so it will sleep/hibernate after say 1hr+? At the point I'm at not, my screen will go black after 5 mins and then after 15 mins or so, I seem to get booted from the game. So if I can stop my laptop from hibernating/sleeping earlier, I would still remain in?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you put the computer to sleep you WILL drop out of the game.

8. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

I think I found the fix. If I make it so my "turn off the display" function is set to never, I won't get disconnected. Problem is my monitor will be on the entire night. I remember hearing a loooong time ago that it wasn't good to leave your monitor on without a screen saver at least. I think because it will burn the color onto the screen?

I think as long as I put a screen saver up, the display should still be up and I won't get disconnected?

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I can't imagine your screen going blank will kick you offline...