VISTA Install erros

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by psujeeperman02, Jan 23, 2007.

1. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

Hey Guys, I have attempted to install Vista Bizness at work. I get through the install process, then when it tries to boot up for the first time, i get a message saying "windows failed to start because a required file BONETMAN.SYS is either missing or corrupted."

Anyone know how to fix this or what is causing the problem??

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

That can't be the correct spelling.

3. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

That's what i thought too, but sure is.

4. Doc Brown

I just did a search for that term on Microsofts Vista support page
    and it turned up nothing.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I just searched my Vista Ultimate system for that file and came up empty. Yes, I searched non-indexed, hidden, and system files too. Was this a clean install or are you trying to upgrade?

6. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

I was trying to upgrade. I thought about the clean install, but i am still weary on losing some of the programs,drivers,and map drives. Also, the PC has a 256 MB PNY geforce 6200 installed and it says that this card wont work in vista. What gives? its a brand new PC with a brand new card.

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

That's exactly why I never upgrade. Too many things can go wrong and the system will never run as well as if you'd reformatted and installed the new OS clean. I can't see why that video card wouldn't run in Vista. Vista has a ton of drivers built in and nVidia already has Vista RTM drivers out. The worst case on that card would be that you might not get Aero.

8. Doc Brown

Microsoft did the same thing with XP.

You would think the vendors would get together and tell Bill to go jump in a lake.

9. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

I think i may just do the clean install, im just worried that i will get the same error message i am getting now.
    There is a "VISTA READY" sticker on the outside of the package. So, it def should work with the my card. And a 256MB card should have no problem handling Aero. No?

10. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I don't think its so much the amount of video RAM as the capabilities of the chipset. But if Intel integrated 965 chipset drivers do Aero, your card should.

I think a clean install will work much better. Loading Windows over Windows always leaves you with a bastard half breed of the two OSs.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Odd, nobody has the same attitude towards Apple repeatedly dropping all support for old hardware. There are two ways to control software bloat: don't do anything new, in which case there's no point buying the product, or drop support for old features, in which case people bitch and moan but ultimately fork over the money anyway.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

DOT.

13. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

Success. I formatted the hd, installed a fresh copy, and works like a charm. Looks like i found a bug in the upgrade process?????:eek3:

anyway, so far so good. only slight issue i am having is that our company's manufacturing software is very unstable under vista. probably just has something to do with running aero though. ill switch back to the normal vista and test it out next week.

14. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Not so much a bug in the upgrade process, just the fact that every existing installation is different and there's too many possibilities for them to cover every single last one of them.

For your manufacturing software, try this: Right click, properties on its shortcut. Go to the compatibility tab and check "run this program in compatibility mode for WinXP SP2". Also check "run this program as administrator". That fixes 90% of the compatibility issues I've had with older programs running on Vista.