Vista File Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KiKi, Nov 25, 2006.

1. KiKi

KiKi New Member

I just installed Vista, but i'm noticing now that any files i receive or download, disappear when i recevie them. If i go in explorer and look, its like they dont exist. For example,its a mp3, it will show up in WMP and play normally, but when i search for the file, it does not exist?

As well, If i save a file to my desktop, it will save fine, i can access it fine, but when i go to search for the file, it seems like it doesnt exist?

Is there some sort of option i need to be turning on/off?

Thanks in advance

2. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

It updates the live search only every-so-often, so it won't show up in search right away. I don't know how often Vista updates the live search.

3. KiKi

KiKi New Member

Thats cool, but files still dont show up (1+ day) in the explorer...

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

That's weird. I just downloaded a file to my desktop using IE7. It appeared on the desktop as soon as it was finished downloading. I immediately clicked the Start button and searched for part of the file name. It showed up in the search results right away too.

edit: I just tried downloaded something with Firefox. Again, it appears right away on the desktop but not in Search. So I guess IE downloads get indexed immediately, but files transfered by other means have to wait for the indexer to find them. You can find it right away if you do an advanced seach and tell it to find non-indexed files.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Here is another gotcha with the search: right click on the start menu icon (windows logo), properties, Start Menu, Click Customize, Scroll down to Search Files. The default is "Search this user's files". You might want to change it to "Search entire index"

Also, in explorer go to Tools/Options (hit alt to get the menu) and go to the search tab. Default setting is to only search the index for indexed locations. If you change it to Always search file names and contents (don't recommend that) or Always search file names only it will find them right away. Otherwise just wait for the indexer to catch up (recommended since it gives you more options for searching).

You can also check "Don't use the index when searching the file system" to get them to show up right away.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Ohh, gooo finds! Especially the one about hitting ALT to get the menu back.

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yea, I was about to pull my hair out trying to find a way to get to the options for explorer when I remembered that IE7 works that way too. Silly Microsoft!

Here is another one: You can still click on the upper-left corner of a window (including explorer, which has no icon/control visible there) to bring up the resize/move/close window, or you can still doubleclick it to close the window.

You can also still type a location into the explorer address bar, you just have to highlight what's already in there from the far right (i.e. don't click on the locations) and start typing.

Come to think of it, we should probably start up a FAQ like the IE7 one for Vista. A lot of stuff like this would be ready for when most people here get their hands on Vista.

Any Mods want to start us up a new sticky?

8. keleko

keleko yes, he is

need a how-to for installing IE6 on vista, i refuse to use IE7 because i can't configure it the way *I* want it

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I really doubt it can be done. Even if it is possible, you most likely would not get security updates automatically for it (or even be able to install them period if they check OS first). Best bet is to switch to Opera or FF if you don't like it.

10. keleko

keleko yes, he is

oh, i already have FF (rarely use opera)
    but there are some sites that simply will NOT work with anything other then IE - and not ie7

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Then the only thing I can suggest is to wait to upgrade to Vista until sites that don't work with IE 7 are fixed, or run XP in a VM so you can use IE 6.

12. keleko

keleko yes, he is

there are some sites that will never be re-coded to work for ie7, would take too much work

i've only got 2ghz and 1.65gb ram, not enough to do a proper vm

13. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Then those sites will be useless in a couple of years when the percentage of people who can access them is in the low double digits.

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

:werd: . If they won't recode then they will die off anyway.

Also: 2ghz/1.65 gigs is more than enough to support an XP VM. You can boot one up with 196 megs and have it run fine if all you are doing is surfing the web. Once they are started they take up very little CPU if you are just puttering around. As long as you give it enough memory to prevent swapping (you have plenty to do that) it should run just fine.