Vista Detection of second hard drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nbiggershaft, Mar 20, 2010.

1. nbiggershaft

nbiggershaft New Member

Hey, hopefully I am missing something obvious, it's been years since I have done any real computer work, so I am a bit rusty.

I've just had to reformat/reinstall my primary hard drive with Vista. I'm up and running, but Vista doesn't seem to recognize my second hard drive anymore. It's a 300 gb WD SATA drive. It was working fine before the format. I can see it in my bios, but it doesn't show up Disk Management.

Any ideas?

2. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

did you reset the bios when reinstalling? if it's a SATA drive, there should be options to use the drive in like "raid mode" or "ahci" or "ide mode". vista might only recognize the drive in one of them

3. nbiggershaft

nbiggershaft New Member

No, didn't mess with bios, it's set to IDE mode right now. Hard drive is: WDC WD3200AAKS

4. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

right click computer, go to manage, then go to disk management. You may then just have to select import foreign disk or reactive disk or something along those lines. It depends on weather it was a basic disk or dynamic.

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Hopefully it wasn't dynamic ...

6. nbiggershaft

nbiggershaft New Member

Got it sorted, Kinda. I had the drive hooked up to the SATA slots intended for a raid configuration. Before I reformatted, I had motherboard utility software installed, which I guess enabled me to use the hard drive even though I didn't have a raid config set up. I moved the drive onto a regular SATA slot and it works fine now.

I would think it should have recognized the drive anyways, but problem fixed, so who cares.

7. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Why's that? Shouldn't have made it any harder to get it working.

8. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

Based on this info, it sounds like you need to install the drivers for the extra SATA controller built into the motherboard. Since you had to install some software to use the ports last time, the necessary drivers were installed at that time.