Vista Crew v. Few Problems i'm running into

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MeanGreen, Dec 30, 2006.

1. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

#1 Eventhough i have set the computer name the way that i wanted to, it is always refered to as some wierd name on the network.

#2 The option to share out a drive is always greyed out. I want to share it out so that i can let my htpc map to it but i can never do it. I turned on all the sharing options in vista and also all the sharing properties under advance sharing, but none of the xp machines see the drive and i in some cases even the computer itself. I can ping the address between all of them and they can all physically reach the vista machine. so now i'm stumped.

and i'm on the latest 57XX build befor it went to 6000

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Post a screen shot of your Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel if you can.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Sounds a little bit like the antivirus conflict that you ran into.

4. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

1)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the first one, you can see that i have names it "tower" but look in the second pic and you see that it is really called something else. And yes, i did restart it after the change:p

--------------------------------------------------

2)

See how the option to share the drive is greyed out? But then i went into advanced and gave everybody read write and modify control. Also having trouble hitting this computer from XBMC.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW the snipping tool in vista makes screen shots WAYYY easier:bigthumb:

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

When you ping tower (by host name) does it resolve the proper IP address? That name you see could just be a cached view, like how Network Neighborhood will show phantom computers. If you enter \\tower into Vista's explorer address bar, does it come up?

I believe having the share button greyed out on the drive's property sheet is normal. I'm running Ultimate RTM and that's how mine is. Its probably just Microsoft's way of discouraging you from sharing an entire drive. Or at least making your endure a UAC prompt before doing it. I just shared my Vista's G drive and had no problem getting to it from my XP Pro computer. I'm logged onto both machines as an admin using the same username & password.

6. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

yeah i just tried doing the explorer window of vista and it resolved to the shared items on the computer when i typed in \\tower. However when you try doing it form another computer in the same workgroup on the network, it still comes up as not found.

I'll guess i will just have to keep playing around with the other problem and see what happenes

Thanks for the quick response:bigthumb:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006