Vista can't copy files from share on XP machine

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Nov 24, 2006.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I'm using the same username/password on all three machines and am a member of the administrators group on all three.

One machine is running Windows XP Pro SP2. It has a shared folder with read/write permissions for everyone. I use this folder to get files to/from this computer over my network.

I have two additional machines both running Vista Ultimate Final RTM. (Legal from Technet)

Both Vista machines can read/execute files from the XP's shared folder. For example, I can open a Word doc, pdf, etc. or install software by launching the exe file directly off the shared folder. They can also copy a file TO the XP's shared folder, edit, or delete.

The problem is with simply copying a file that shared folder on the XP machine to the Vista machine while sitting at the Vista computer. I get an error message titled "Destination Folder Access Denied" that reads "You need permission to perform this action". It doesn't matter where I copy the file to. Desktop, Public, Documents, etc. Same thing. So I can open/execute it, but I can't copy it. :wtf:

This happens on both Vista machines. I have enabled the Public folder on both Vistas and they can copy files to/from each other. And the XP machine can copy to/from the Vistas' Public folders.

I haven't been able to find much on Google but I have tried disabling UAC and firewalls without and affect. I also disabled Protected Mode in IE7. I know its probably some new security feature designed for retards but damn if I can't find the setting.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Just a follow up in case anyone else has this problem and searches:

It wound up being the antivirus on the XP Pro machine. I'm running Kaspersky 5.0 which uses NTFS ADS. Its the ADS that makes Vista puke and refuse to copy a file with it from the network to its own NTFS drives. Vista could copy to a local FAT32 drive but not a local NTFS drive.

Snoozing Kaspersky's real-time protection, copying a file from the XP's C drive (NTFS) to a flash drive (FAT32, which strips the ADS data), then back to the C drive where the shared folder is, allowed Vista to copy the file over the network. Once Kaspersky was re-enabled, Vista once again wouldn't copy the file from the share on the XP's NTFS C drive.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

It's caused by a conflict from the antivirus? Damn, that's fucked up.

Are you able to use a different antivirus, or is it not your call?

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah I slowly narrowed it down to an NTFS issue, then to the antivirus's real-time scanner. It was a bitch because this happened right away on the very first Vista test installation I made. So of course I knew next to nothing about Vista and had no idea where the problem could possibly be. I'll probably throw AVG on here now.

5. Doc Brown

That's one of those nightmares that you pray you don't run into.

Good job of toubleshooting that, by the way.

I'll have to remember that one for when (sigh) I wind up running Vista.

I use Norton and it has realtime monitoring too.

So does Pestpatrol.

Ugh.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Thanks. This one really had me stumped. The bright side is that this happened to me on a non-production machine rather than on a customer's machine some time early next year. This way I'll look like a genius if I see this one someone else's machine and already know the fix. :big grin: Who knows what other antivirus programs might have a similar issue.

7. Doc Brown

Now that I know that, hopefully I'll get to look like a genius too.
    [​IMG]