Vista: Can I make myself a FULL administrator?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Nov 26, 2006.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Under NT/2k/2k3/XP, I've always created an account for myself and made it an administrator. I kept the the built-in administrator enabled as a backup account in case my everyday account got corrupted. Yeah, I know its bad to run as Admin, but Windows makes life miserable if you try to run as a restricted user.

Now I find out that in Vista, an admin isn't really an admin. Only the built-in Administrator account is a FULL, unrestricted administrator. Even right clicking and clicking "run as administrator" doesn't always work. Besides, I shouldn't have to do that. Its MY machine. Is there a registry hack or security policy setting to revert to the old way where an admin is an admin and can do anything without restriction?

Oh, even using "run as administrator", I still had to disable two UAC setting in security policy to get some stuff to run. I set "UAC: Only elevate executables that are signed and validated" and "UAC: Only elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations" to disabled.

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Turning off UAC completely is the only way.

Windows-R, type msconfig, click OK

In msconfig go to Tools tab, Select Disable UAC, click Launch.

A DOS window will open. Close it. Log off and back on (may not be required)