Vista Business can't see shared drives/printers on Domain

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by grocerylist, Mar 18, 2008.

1. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

I just upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Vista Business so I could access the shared printers/drives on the network at work. I'm able to login to the domain but I'm not able to see the shared printers or shared drives on the network.

Has anyone experienced anything like this with Vista Business? I called Microsoft and they wanted something like $250 to help me with this one issue. Because it was considered outside their typical support for new product purchases.

Also when I try to search for and add a network printer Windows Explorer locks up immediately and restarts. This happens every time I try to add a network printer.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

do you have network discovery turned on?

3. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

Yes I have network discovery turned on.

I forgot to mention this... I'm only able to see other Vista machines on the network. Can't see the shared drives/printers on the server (SBS 2003) nor any of the XP machines.

4. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

Another thing...

I'm also unable to remotely access this computer via Remote Desktop which is setup on the server. I've named the computer correctly however when I try to connect I'm told that I'm unable to connect because the domain controller is down/unavailable or because your computer account was not found.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  5. Chris

Chris New Member

are you browsing for the printers or do you have the exact addresses and it wont connect to those addresses?

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You will need Vista drivers for the printers, the 2000/XP ones will not work. Are you able to ping the IP of a printer or PC the printer is connected to?

Just for kicks, turn off IPv6 and see if that helps any of the network issues...

7. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Firewall on?

8. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

I'm trying to add the printers through browsing the shared printers. Yes I'm able to ping the machine which I'm trying to add the printer from.

I'll try turning off IPv6. I just found it strange that Windows Explorer isn't responding as soon as I click 'add printer' in the add printer wizard.

Firewall is on by default from the SBS 2003 server settings.

9. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

The firewall and/or Network Level Authentication are going to kill your ability to remote into the Vista machine. Under the Remote tab of My Computer Properties, you can turn off Network Level Authentication requirements, which will allow you to remote in.

You won't necessarily need different drivers for the printer(s) to work. What brand/model are the printers?

10. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

Thanks I'll double check whether I've allowed myself remote desktop connections to the Vista machine.

The printers I'm wanting to use are a Dell 3110cn, HP 4000 and a Brother HL-5240.

I think something must be wrong with the Vista Business install as again everytime I try to add a printer windows explorer crashes and restarts.

11. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

I'll find one of each on campus tomorrow and connect them to my vista business machine, then post the driver versions that its using.

12. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

The weird thing is that I have a couple other machines running Vista that are able to connect to all of these printers, as well as the shared network drives without any issues.

13. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

I checked and I hadn't given myself access to 'Remote Desktop' but I've now enabled access without Network Level Authentication. However I'm still unable to connect to this particular machine. When I do try to access the machine I get the login screen but it looks like a XP login screen, whereas on one my other machines with Vista Ultimate when I remote desktop I get a Vista login screen.

I've checked the server (sbs 2003) and the Vista Business machine is being detected as Vista Business.