Vista and XP on the same network?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by o2, Dec 31, 2006.

1. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

I just installed Vista on one of my PCs. Its great, but Im having trouble getting it to see my other WinXP PCs. Its connected via a router, and the internet works, but I dont see the other computers in the Network window, nor do the other computers see Vista. I installed that LLTD thing, so the XP computers show up on the network map on Vista.... but I cannot browse the shared files or anything like that.

Any idea how I can fix this?

2. o2

care :wtc:

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Is your network configuration in Vista set to private or public? Public will cause problems because it thinks you're at a coffee shop and can't trust anyone on the LAN. Try dropping Vista's firewall and see if you can network. If you can, you know the firewall is the problem and can concentrate on that.

4. o2

Its set to private, and the firewall is off. Still nothing. It detects them in the network map, so it sees the other computers..... I just cant browse the shared folders, which is all I care about.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Are you using the same username/password on all computers? Is XP set to use simple file sharing? Can you map a share through a "net use" command?

6. o2

I dont have any usernames or passwords. Out of the blue, Vista started seeing my XP computers.... but not vice versa. Ugh.