Vista and "Run as administrator"

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Limp_Brisket, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

So If i try to run any program in my start menu that is either in the recent program list or in the list of programs from a search and do "run as administrator" nothing happens. It will run normally if I left click it but I can't do "run as administrator." Anyone know why this is?

Another question. I disabled UAC because it was getting annoying but then when I would try and delete files it would just give me permission errors unless I re-enabled UAC and then clicked allow. What's the purpose of disabled UAC if it's not going to allow me to do anything with it disabled?

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

The first is a quirk in vista, hopefully they address it in SP1 (i've noticed the same thing).

As for the second, how exactly are you disabling UAC? Also, after you disable it, do you reboot (you have to, even though it doesn't force you to).

3. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i disable UAC by going to the control panel > user accounts > and disable UAC in there. and yes it makes me reboot.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Try re-enabling it, rebooting, then disable it from msconfig. Go to start, and type msconfig in the search box at the bottom. Then go to the tools tab and scroll down to Disable UAC. Click launch. A dos window will open (and stay open doing nothing, it's done). Reboot and see if you have the same issue.

If that still doesn't work, grab the Take Ownership Context Menu Item from http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=499870. Vista plays games with the file ownership to protect certain files (some for no apparent reason what so ever). A lot of times you have to take ownership (even though you are already an admin).

There are a ton of other good tweaks in that thread, btw.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

msconfig?

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what is the point of that link? I know what msconfig is. I am point out that you can simply use it to accomplish what the person is asking.

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Then you might not want to post "msconfig?" right below a post that tells how to use MSConfig. Or at least use the Quote button.

9. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

well i really hope that fix the "run as administrator" problem. because as it is i usually use the search in the start menu to find any programs that i want to run and it's annoying that if i want to run it as administrator i have to track down the executables location myself to do so.