MMA Visited a potential gym last night v. MT

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by GreatDeceiver, Jan 13, 2009.

1. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

http://www.imb-columbus.com/news.php

Seemed legit, affiliated with Gurgel and Sityodtong LA. Website makes the place look clean right? Wrong.

I go in there, the BJJ class is ending. The first thing I notice is how freaking dirty everything was. Everyone gets up and leaves and the mats aren't touched. I'm walking on sweat. Nobody talks to you, but eyes you because you clearly are new to the gym.

A few minutes of rope, basically everyone doing their own thing and the coach is nowhere to be seen. Then some dude leads a quick cardio session, everyone is doing at their own pace, stopping, etc. I was used to being eyed like a hawk by my coach and yelled at if I started slacking at my old place...dunno. Coach shows up and tells us to partner up and grab some Thai Pads. Everyone gets together, nobody acknowledges me and I end up with another clearly new dude. This guy wasn't just new to the gym but new to MT and had no gloves, wraps, etc.

The pads were freaking beat to shit, every time I kicked shit just flew everywhere, and when I held them it felt like I was just blocking the guy's horrible kicks with my forearms. Coach made it around like twice and just said 'good' after watching me throw a combo. I spent most of my time teaching my partner how to throw a basic round kick and a cross :ugh:

Do some basic clinch work and then class is over. Coach disappears without showing interest in me coming back (I wasn't gonna anyway). Place smelled awful too, really unpleasant experience.

I got one more place around Columbus I can try, and sadly my MT options are exhausted. Really hoping this other place isn't as horrible, I'd hate to stop just because the gyms around here are shit...

/blog

2. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

i was thinking the same thing. just move slightly east to west PA for MUAY AMISH.

3. GreatDeceiver

:wtc:

but yeah I agree

4. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

:rofl:

PA = worse roads in USA

5. GreatDeceiver

http://www.ohiomuaythai.com/

This is my other option. Place seems decent and new, no clue how I should judge the instructor's credentials here...

6. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

i seriously wish i had as many (although shitty) schools near me but for BJJ.

there's literally only 1 F'n BJJ/MMA school in my entire goddam county.

PA=teh suck

7. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

place seems decent although i'm not 100% sure about the concrete floors

8. GreatDeceiver

There don't seem to be too many options in the Northeast. Which is odd because I always thought alot of pro guys were out of Ohio...where the fuck do they train lol

9. GreatDeceiver

Word, looks like they taped carpet over the floors lol...I'm really missing my old gym now :wtc:

10. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

I'd shoot them an email or something asking.

may i ask what happened with your old gym?

11. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

is mentor too far?

http://www.griffonrawl-ohio.com/

12. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

wow.

The text they write is lined with bullshit.
    It's a warehouse with carpet taped on the floor.
    Looks like they built that gym for a few hundred dollars.

I'd rather save the fees and train by myself in my garage.

13. GreatDeceiver

I started training when I was in Tennessee on an internship. The gym was small but super nice, and since I had nothing to compare the instruction to I didn't realize how personal and thorough the guy was there in comparison to what I've seen here.

14. GreatDeceiver

Yeah I agree. It just sucks because I'm still a noob and feel like I need quality instruction, I don't think I'll progress much by myself and a heavy bag at the rec.

And to adrenalin, yeah Mentor is in Cleveland. I'd have to drive 2 hours there and 2 back. Sucks.

15. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

:hsugh: silly me, thought you were in cleveland.

GreatDeceiver
    "Cling tenaciously to Powdered Toast Man's buttocks!!"

16. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

17. GreatDeceiver

18. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

a bad coach and partners wont help you either. I feel for you though.

Whats your zip code and the radius you would consider, i'll see if i can find somewhere.

19. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

Man, that sounds like the MT gyms in Paris. The instructors just end up sitting around or trying to chat up whatever girls are in the gym at the time. Everything is dilapitated and no one knows what they are doing. All this and more for 60 Euros a month, fuck me.

20. teep

teep New Member

i don't care about ghetto facilities as long as there is quality instruction and people to work with. even the best guys have people telling them what to do.

ohio muay thai looks like straight bullshit. i love how they play up the fact that they've been to Thailand even though it sounds like they just stayed for a week and took in some sights and watched some muay thai. visiting thailand doesn't give you any sort of fucking credibility as a fighter or a trainer. i fucking hate people like that. there's a cardio boxing instructor here who thinks he runs a real boxing gym. he's always hassling me to come take his class and how i could learn so much. he's a fucking TKD guy with a cardio boxing certification :ugh:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  21. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

:werd:

i spent an entire month in Thailand on vacation one year, doesnt mean i'm a legit Muay Thai fighter, i hate being punched.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  22. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

same, but there is only so much you can do if the ground is concrete. You can pretty much play patty-cake and thats it.

23. GreatDeceiver

My zip is 43201, I'll drive one way 45 min tops. Too much school and work to take road trips but twice a week for a quality place I've got no problems with a bit of a commute.

And word to the whole 'we went to Thailand' bs. I really see no concrete credentials on their site that would make me think they know what they are doing. Their sparring sessions are described as 'light contact', probably meaning that if I catch a kick and sweep someone I'll be promptly asked to leave lol. Plus I have no idea how a good pivot can be achieved on carpet.

I really envy you guys that have options, I'd just like one freaking place that isn't a scam or a shithole lol.

24. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

you can pivot just fine on carpet. it tears your feet up though at first.

and thats why I would never train there. You cant clinch, catch, sweep, cause someone will end up falling and cracking their head or their elbow on concrete.

that blackdragon place looks like it will be full of dickheads, but you never know. Its gotta be better than working out at Average Joes.

25. GreatDeceiver

lol I know. I looked at their list of 'fighters' and it looks like every asshole gathered there. The best is the black dude who is undefeated in 'bouncer fights'. Jesus christ.

They have no credentials for their instructors, other than the guy who runs the gym has a few pro fights. Wow, I'm sold.

There is an unofficial MT club that meets at the rec. I saw them getting together while I was working out on the bags, though I really don't know about that either. They have no facility, and it's basically a bunch of guys with a couple sets of Thai pads randomly meeting up. Don't think I want to pay to be a part of that. God I'm fucked :rofl: