TAT Visible Tatoos; not professional?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Incog91, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Incog91

Incog91 Guest

People have told me that visible tatoos, hands, arms, etc, are usually frowned upon in the "professional" world and that it can be harder to get a job.

Is there truth to this? I plan on finally getting my ass in school and going to college in 2005, so I get an education and a good job. But will doing what I want to do now hinder my career life?

And the tatoo I was thinking about was a tri-force on left hand like Link.

I am a nerd. :rolleyes:

2. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

sadly, that's how a lot of people view in the more conservative/professional world tattoos. there is a stigma of a 'rebelious, unprofessional, inreliable, badass' that goes along with tattoos & piercings. I say do what you want, but know now that Certain companies and professions look down on tattoos in visible areas.

and :rofl: at being a nerd. if you really liek that tatt design, go for it.... a little too dorky for my tastes, but :cool: none the less

3. phigity

phigity New Member

if you want the tat then get it. i want a full sleve on my right arm so bad i can taste it. but with the work i'll be doing i doubt many companies would hire someone for a IT position with a full sleve. i'm thinking of doing a half sleve and prob rolling my sleeves up. i've got a 2 tats now and you can see one when my sleve moves.

4. Cherryfire

Cherryfire "If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci

I feel ya..Im studying to eventually become a Science teacher. I have lots of plans to tattoo myself, most of the ideas centering around my arms/wrists. I am having to amend these plans and put them in areas that i can easily cover with short sleeves as I doubt I'll have an easy time with the hiring process if they are visible. Its really a shame too..I think about people who decide "too late" that they want a teaching position type job and arent considered due to a ill placed tattoo.

5. Incog91

Incog91 Guest

I've been told a teacher at a HS here where I live has sleeves and that he used to be a member of the Hell's Angels. I don't know if it is true.

6. phigity

phigity New Member

it is really sad that the world is the way it is. i can admit when i was younger and i would see someone with a lot of tats or holes in them i would think eww what a freak. but some of the nicest people i have ever meet are people that i used to call freaks. hell i'm one of them now. if you get nothing else out of getting tats and piercings then at least learn that looks don't matter. whats inside is what truely counts.

7. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Zelda > Life Itself

8. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

90% percent of the female teachers under 30 at my job have tatoos.

9. Trina

Trina New Member

My niece has visible tatoos and the best job she can get is waitressing.

10. Cherryfire

Visible ones?

11. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

i can definately understand that. I don't have a visible tatt, but I have piercings. Just today, I had a prelim. phone interview for a job and the second thing she asked was if I had any visible tattoos then if I had any facial piercings. I tell her "yes, I have 2". she then asked if I was willing to remove them for the job, I said I could remove the jewelry and make them invisible if dress code demands it.

sadly a tatt where people can see it all the time is condenming you to a shit job if you aren't super skilled/super talented/in an area where it's Ok.

12. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

lots on the lower and upper back, one teacher has her whole arm, 3 have them on the back of their necks. We have around 30 female teacher from the age of 22-35. And yes you can see them

13. Kent

Kent Guest

Professional: not particularly. Played out: yes

It definitely won't make it easier to get a job, but you'll probably be interviewing for real jobs in a suit, so keep that in mind in what you are considering "visible."

Of course, in ten or fifteen years you may get tired of people saying, "Hey, I remember when that was cool," and, "Yeah, I was rebellious when I was a teenager, too."

That said, I'm a software engineer. I wouldn't hold it against you if I interviewed you when you were good. But the impression I'd get when I met you would be trend follower, not rebel. Tattoos weren't even that rebellious anymore when I was in college 5-10 years ago... can't you kids come up with something new?

14. KDubb

KDubb everyday I'm hustlin'

work for yourself.

fuck "the man"

15. atomlowe

atomlowe meh....member

I work as a designer of industrial/specialty equipment and I don't know if its due to the "industrial" nature of my profession, but I've never encountered anything. Several ppl at of office has visible tatts on their arms and such. Its unfortunate, but yes, society has a bit to learn about individuality.

16. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

:rolleyes:

17. DejaVooDoo

DejaVooDoo *Jojo*

I have facial piercings and I work @ ALLTEL Wireless's Corporate Office. Business professional attire every day. No one has ever said a word to be about my piercings...they are more interested than anything...when I go through the metal detectors they always expect me to go off hahah.

18. phigity

phigity New Member

i'm lucky that when i started my job i already had some minor piercings. since then i have gotten a lot more and they haven't cared at all. the pres of the company is really business like and he jokes around with me all the time. i have been thinking of getting either a part-time or a new job and i'm scared b/c i really don't feel like taking out my piercings. but i guess everyone has to do it sometime.

19. Incog91

Incog91 Guest

Why do you bother come in here and posting that?
    A. I am an adult.
    B. I have no one to rebel against.

good call.

20. Cherryfire

I appreciate the insight, and your general message was, "I'd hire you if you were qualified, regardless of the tattoos." Im glad to hear that and hope there are others who share your thought process. I do have to comment though on the last part. A large majority of tattooed people don't tattoo to be "rebellious". Because youre right, its NOT so different and original to tattoo yourself and hasnt been for many many years. So it stands to reason that someone to pays someone to push ink into their skin and continues to do this enough to where the problem of "hmm..now where do i need to draw the line in order to be hireable or should I?" is more doing so because they love the artform itself and the community surrounding it rather than trying to be rebellious or cool. :)

21. phigity

phigity New Member

^^^^^

amen man amen!!!

22. punkerjim

punkerjim Guest

I'm 26 now and have a decent job in an office environment where i'm a Payroll Systems Administrator (not bad pay, about $40k). I have a big enough tattoo on my right forearm and a huge tattoo on my left elbow (halfway up my forearm and halfway up the other way (to my tricep)). Both CAN be covered by a longsleave shirt if need be (meetings with certain people). My supervisor never really said anything to me about them, in fact, when i first started there, i would wear long sleave shirts all the time. One day they asked me why, i said because of my tattoos and they said no one will care.

I had a job before i had tattoos and only had piercings (4 in my ears (no lobes), two in my tounge, and a labret)... Another professional office environment where i was an accounting clerk... they didn't have any rules about that sort of dress code until after me. I basically got fired (or quit, whichever it was) because i refused to take my labret out (they hired me with it, why make the change now?)... funny thing about that is, as soon as i left that place, i took all my visible piercings out (labret started eroding my gums and my ear piercings were somewhat uncomfortable at times and would bleed if they got hit correctly (concerts sucked ass because my ears would be bleeding afterwards)).

All in all, if the company is like a fortune 500 company and is more professional than others, not a good idea to be different than the other employees... if your supervisor is young enough or judges people by their work efficiency instead of how they look, they probably won't care.

23. phigity

phigity New Member

if they hire you with something then they can't fire you for it later on or ask you to take it out.

24. ZetecRacing

ZetecRacing New Member

my current job I doubt I would of even gotten through the first interview if I had my ear rings in let alot a visible tattoo. there have been a few times I have forgotten to take my ear rings out and have gotten a nice LONG lecture about it not being professional to have so I can just imagine how they would react if I had a tattoo that was visible, even more so if it come be looked at as offensive to anyone. My parents told me when I got my first one to make sure any more I get are able to be covered up for an interview so I have kept to that... one of the few times I have actually listened to them.

25. Sebulous

Sebulous Guest

Your basically preaching to the converted. Almost all of us here have no problems with tattoos or piercings.