Viruses for Mac

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by newsroom_can, Jun 11, 2005.

1. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

So, I've owned my PowerBook for about 5 months or so.

It is still difficult for me to believe that I've never checked for any virus on my computer for five months. (I did it daily when I used Windows machine.)

So there are really no viruses for Mac?

2. asiandoood

asiandoood New Member

not that we know of. :)

welcome to the other side

3. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

I know... still hard to believe that I am not checking viruses everyday.. not that I am complaning about that... :)

4. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

do you guys check for spyware?

5. Icedog

Icedog New Member

I'm glad that with OS X I don't have to spend time doing what I did a lot on windows: virus protection, spyware stuff, and defraging.

6. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

there are plenty of viruses out there for the mac. they just aren't as readily available as our windows counterparts. I believe most of them are macro style viruses that plague the microsoft products. i've had my mac for 2 years now and i've never had any type of virus software on my computer.

I may be wrong, but spyware doesn't exist for the mac...as of yet. They have to figure out how to get an executable file loaded w/o your permission before that happens.

7. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Most spyware is installed with your permission. It's just they tend to exploit people's laziness in how you close windows or click yes always by default. The reason why its rare for Macs is b/c few people would bother to write a specific spyware for Mac when its under 5% of systems out there. Weatherbug, Gator, and all the other bastards in that industry prey on stupidity coupled with clever design to trick users into installing it. Of course Microsoft didn't really try to hard to stop them but then again you don't know how insecure a system really is until you have millions of people trying to crack it all the time.

As for Mac viruses, they exist but generally there aren't enough Mac users out there for it to spread very far. Generally a PC virus has far more ability to do damage b/c of the number of systems that can be infected as well as the inexperience of many people to apply the latest updates.
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/04/09/apple.trojan/

8. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

:bowdown:

9. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

there are no known os x viruses. the only ones that have garnered press are bullshit: one was made by an antivirus company but never used in the wild, and surprise, their product was the only one to detect it--buy our product immediately! :rolleyes: the other one is also hardly a virus, just a shell script that does very basic things and is just as much a virus as the trash can in the Finder is. none of these spread, none of these escalate privilleges, etc. they basically require that you do all the work for them.

and no, no spyware exists either.

10. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

viruses, lol :eek5:

11. turbo91

turbo91 New Member

omg, but if more people use the OS, there will be virii!! :rolleyes: