Virus won't die

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mistergixter, Nov 24, 2008.

1. mistergixter

mistergixter New Member

I have Symantec alert that keeps on popping up with two instances of W32.Virut.U. Symantec says it cleans the virus but it pops up maybe 20 minutes later. It is becoming a annoyance. I did some research and the best way to beat it seems to be to reformat/install XP. That is something that I would care not to do, but if it is my last option, then I will.

Here are my specs, forgive me if I don't list them all. I know a little about computers but not much.

XP SP3
    Intel Pent 4 2.ghz
    1.00gb of ram
    120 gig hard drive split into two partitions.

I use it for pr0n, word and internet use. I have no idea how I got this one, I am usually pretty careful what I download.

Current anti virus components I have

Symantec Endpoint Protection

Spyware
    Adware
    Spybot
    Spyware Doctor

I have used avast before but never wanted to pay for the liscense.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Have you looked for a removal tool on Symantec's site?

3. Vysion

Vysion New Member

My guess is these 2...

4. Vysion

Vysion New Member

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Shut off System Restore.

6. mistergixter

mistergixter New Member

Now I have no connection to the internet. This sucks because I have some homework that is due and I need to register for my classes tomorrow. Don't really have a spare computer. My mom will be working in the morning on her's, so that is out of the question.

Is this virus capable of doing damage where I can not get an internet connection.

I would hate to have to reformat just to fix a problem. I am not sure the my XP key has anymore uses left. That makes things really tough. I am unsure of what to do. I am unable to update symantec for some reason, and when it does update, I run a full scan and it finds nothing. What the hell is up with that. I am going to try avast and see if that works.

I am at a loss of why my net would die. It is only IE and FF, AIM still works, which is odd. Cause if AIM worked, then both of those should work as well. I have not tried Chrome, but I am thinking the same issue. When I did get connected, I was only able to look at my gmail and then when I tried to navigate to another site, it lost connection.

Any ideas would be helpful.

This is now becoming an issue on multiple computers. It took me 3 times to load OT. To me if it happens on two different computers, then it is a network problem? I am so frustrated, just adding to a shitty day.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  7. deusexaethera

Check the LAN connection settings in Internet Explorer. Make sure "Automatically Detect Settings" is enabled and "Use Proxy Server" is disabled.

8. mistergixter

mistergixter New Member

So here is an update. The DSL (slow I know) modem works fine. It was plugged into my mom's computer all day long today. So I hooked it up the the wireless router and everything works fine for now. Here is my question.

Here was my orginal setup.

Modem>Wireless Router>8 port D link switch

Off of the d link switch was one computer and another 4 port switch. That four port switch went to my computer and then down to xbox.

Do switches go bad? To me it is just and input/output thing right?

9. deusexaethera

I gotta ask, why so many switches?

I also gotta ask, is the virus gone yet?

10. mistergixter

mistergixter New Member

Really, I am not sure why so many switches. We had 4 computers hooked up over a wired network. In a two story house, that equaled a lot of cable. So it was easier to run switches with out having to use 50' cables or 100' cables to go about 30 feet, through walls. So one switch in my room, that is working is on one side of my room on the end of a 25' cable, then i have the 100' connected to run downstairs and then the single line to run to my computer kitty corner from the switch.

Apparently so, I installed and ran AVG, nothing came up. My Symantec is updated now, so I think I am good to go.

When it comes to computers, I tend to fly by the seat of my pants.

11. mistergixter

mistergixter New Member

I keep on getting little piddly viruses every once and awhile. A lot of them have been W32... and the one I just got today was bloodhound.exploit.196, which symantec said was low. How are they coming through? I haven't even been looking at much pr0n.

12. deusexaethera

W32 is just a designation that means it can infect 32-bit Windows.

You might be getting them through email.

13. mistergixter

mistergixter New Member

I thought Gmail was a pretty secure email client. I usually don't open attachments from people I don't know, but even that is not safe.

14. deusexaethera

Pretty much the only safe email client is one that you install on your own machine and download your email with, because that way your email can get scanned and filtered by your antivirus software before you have a chance to open it.

Also, if you're not using Mozilla Firefox, consider switching to it; it's a more secure browser than Internet Exploder is.

15. mistergixter

mistergixter New Member

I have been using FF forever it seems like. Why use anything else? I have some addons with my FF too, Adblock Plus, Cookie Monster, NoScript. They are all updated very recently too. Any other addons to suggest? I have Chrome but am not that impressed with it.